MARLBOROUGH coach Chris Budgen says his players are chomping at the bit to right the wrongs from last weekend’s Junior Vase failure.
Marlborough’s dreams of a Twickenham appearance were shattered as they were thrashed 40-0 by Gloucester outfit Longlevens in the South West final – a last-eight exit from the National Vase competition for the second successive season.
Budgen insists that Marlborough’s Dorset & Wilts Two North promotion bid won’t be derailed by their Vase disaster and is backing his league leaders, who have won every league game so far this campaign, to bounce back.
“It was a difficult day because it didn’t go to plan and it was a bit of a lesson,” said former Exeter Chiefs and Northampton prop Budgen.
“We went in as favourites but ended up getting beat convincingly.
“We’ve played teams at their level before but we just didn’t perform and if they’d gone out and played that game again, the result probably would have been different.
“For the boys, the league has always been the priority and we’ve already put it to bed and started concentrating on the next game.
“They boys are just gagging to get out there and get that performance out of their system.
“You don’t become a bad team overnight and we won’t be pressing the panic button.
“But other teams will have seen that result and realised that we can be beaten, so maybe we’ll have to work even harder to win games now because sides may try to attack us more.”
Marlborough take on tenth-placed Supermarine 2nd at the Common this weekend.
FOR MORE SPORTS NEWS, REPORTS & PICTURES SEE THURSDAY'S GAZETTE & HERALD AND FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @gazsport