TROWBRIDGE & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIVISION ONE: Own goal hands Freshford derby day win

ON WHAT turned out to be one of the sunniest December days of 2013, after a fortnight of non-stop rain, just two from the scheduled eight Trowbridge Windows & Conservatories Trowbridge & District League fixtures survived the elements.

Both were in Division One and both were local derbies involving sides in the race to become champions.

At Brown’s Park, hosts Freshford United and near-neighbours Bradford United should be given credit for getting their game played.

With Culver Close unplayable, instead of postponing the game Bradford opted to make the short trip down the road for their first meeting of the campaign with Chris Birleson’s side who started the day in second place, four points adrift of leaders North Bradley.

They finished it just one point off the number one spot, thanks to their 2-1 win in what was a very competitive match and played at a frantic pace for much of it.

In a first 45 minutes that ebbed and flowed as the action switched from one end to the other it was Freshford who opened the scoring on 15 minutes with Ricky Trott putting the hosts 1-0 up.

Bradford deservedly drew level just four minutes later when a Theo Sing cross-cum-shot evaded everyone and nestled in the Freshford net.

The second period may have seen things settle down a little, but again chances came and went for both teams before Freshford grabbed the spoils in the most bizarre fashion when Steve Roddy’s effort was cleared by the Bradford keeper only to hit the unfortunate Chris Rockley and rebound into the net for what proved to be the winner.

Bradford felt they should have been awarded a penalty after Ricky Trott had fouled Phil Little, but with their appeals for a spot kick being waved away they were a little aggrieved but manager Anthony Ottaviano had few complaints at the final whistle as his team had given the potential champions a run for their money.

Warminster Town Reserves 3 Westbury Town Reserves 3

THE only other fixture that beat the weather saw Warminster Town Reserves host Westbury United Reserves just two days after their respective first teams squads had met at Weymouth Street in a game that Warminster won 2-0.

In the battle of the reserve sides the points were shared as Westbury paid the cost for missing a host of first half chances as Andy McFarren’s hosts who should have been dead and buried at the interval fought back from 2-1 down to claim a draw from what was a thrilling 3-3 draw.

Having beaten Warminster 4-0 back in early November it looked as if Jason Edwards side were on course to complete a league double over their near neighbours after Drew Adams had put the visitors ahead.

Warminster, with their first real chance of the game, restored parity through Aaron Cockerill but should have been behind again before Ashley Easton netted a second for Westbury.

The second period saw Warminster provide greater opposition to their guests and they drew level courtesy of a fine individual effort from Matt Dyer who beat a clutch of defenders before firing home to square things up at two apiece.

Westbury regained the lead through Conner McKay but Warminster's never-say-die approach earned them a draw, thanks to a second of the afternoon from Dyer.



Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree