I feared for my baby as smoke poured from site, says Devizes mum

The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald: Mum Susie Pettitt feared for 12-week-old baby Matilda as black smoke poured from the Wiltshire Waste Recycling site Mum Susie Pettitt feared for 12-week-old baby Matilda as black smoke poured from the Wiltshire Waste Recycling site

Mum Susie Pettitt has told of her concern for her 12-week-old baby during the fire because of the toxic looking smoke.

Mrs Pettitt, of Massey Road, Devizes, was at home with baby Matilda when the fire broke out at around 4.44pm on Tuesday.

She said: “We have three floors so I could see it from my top floor.

"I thought it was the Fox and Hounds pub because it is thatched and I could see the flames above the trees. I saw the fire engines go by and it seemed serious. I realised it was the recycling centre through Facebook.

“I was a little concerned it could move towards us and I was surprised the road (Nursteed Road) wasn’t closed.

“The smoke looked toxic and I was concerned about Matilda because I didn’t know what was burning.

“I shut all the windows and kept my cat Oscar in.”

Calvin Tromans, of Alan Cobham Road, was walking his dogs Tolly and Merida along Marshall Road when he saw the fire.

“The first thing I saw was the heavy black smoke. I guessed it was the recycling centre.

"The first thing I did when I got home was close the windows.

“The wind changed in the evening because when I let the dogs out there was ash in the garden which was a concern because I didn’t want the dogs to eat it.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:17am Fri 31 Jan 14

urchy-101 says...

Slightly over the top....
Slightly over the top.... urchy-101
  • Score: 4

7:47pm Fri 31 Jan 14

chippenette says...

For heavens sake wouldn't these people normally close the windows if someone was having a bonfire and the smoke was blowing across , why does the gazette bother with these no news stories ?! Have people got no idea of how to think for themselves these days ?
For heavens sake wouldn't these people normally close the windows if someone was having a bonfire and the smoke was blowing across , why does the gazette bother with these no news stories ?! Have people got no idea of how to think for themselves these days ? chippenette
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree