A 57-year-old Corsham man who sexually abused two young girls more than a decade apart has been jailed for three years and three months.

Antonio Ditoro molested one of the children in Devizes in the mid 2000s, and when her complaint came to light another girl told what had happened to her in the 90s.

The Corsham father-of-five had denied all the charges, but a jury at Swindon Crown Court found him guilty of sex assaults on both children.

Robin Shellard, defending, said the offending wasn't the worst of its kind and came to an end well before the police were involved.

He added that his client had suffered 'quite serious mental health issues,' over the years but accepted he was going to jail.

Passing sentence, Judge Douglas Field said "They have both been badly affected: I have read their victim impact statements.

"The first girl, even after all these years, still feels badly affected and they will continue to feel badly affected for years to come.

"One can only hope after these proceedings there can be some sort of closure."

As well as jailing him he also told him he must register as a sex offender for an indefinite period and that he may be barred from working with children.

The first girl was about nine-and-a-half years old when the abuse started in the early 1990s. At the time he working as the assistant manager of the city's Priory Hotel, though none of the offending took place there.

The second girl told of repeated abuse between 2004 and 2007, when she was aged seven to 11, and the defendant was living in Kingfisher Drive, Devizes.

She said he would not only touch her, but also get her to touch him in an inappropriate way.

By then the defendant, who came to the UK from Italy in 1973, had retrained as a hairdresser and was working in a salon in Marlborough.

Ditoro, of Yockney Close, Corsham, was convicted of two charges of indecent assault of a child under the age of 14 in Bath between 1990 and 1991.

He was also convicted of two counts of sexual assault of a child under 13 relating to the Devizes matters.

The jury could not reach verdicts on one indecent assault relating to the first girl and two of causing or inciting a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity, in relation to the second.