CHIPPENHAM travelled to Winscombe for their semi-final match in the Bristol Combination Cup.

The squally conditions cleared for the game which began with Winscombe kicking off into the wind and Chippenham quickly secured the ball and pressed upfield, only for an unfortunate wrist injury to Mackenzie, which disrupted their pattern of play.

It was clear that Winscombe had put their heavy defeat at Chippenham early in the season behind them and they battled well at the breakdowns, where the Chippenham pack responded well with some aggressive rucking and mauling to secure several turnovers.

It was all Chippenham in the early exchanges but they squandered several chances when in good positions by conceding penalties which allowed Winscombe to clear the threat.

A penalty on 30 metres saw Winscombe elect to kick for points but the ball was pushed wide of the posts. Suddenly Chippenham broke out with through Waters from halfway only to be pulled up just short of the line.

The ball fell loose in the tackle but a poor clearance kick saw Hurring gather up move forward and release full back Davies only for him to be forced into touch just short of the line.

Finally Chippenham prised open a solid defence with some good work by the forwards.

Waters switched the ball to the right and Davies came into the line again to exploit the space created and touch down for the opening try which Waters converted.

Wing Turek unfortunately had to leave the field with a turned ankle shortly after.

It was all Chippenham now and Winscombe conceded a penalty for failing to release the ball after quick work by Hurring, Waters converting to take Chippenham in at half-time with a 10-0 lead.

With the wind against them it looked as though Chippenham would be under pressure but they started well, securing a quick turnover.

A Winscombe infringement gave away a penalty and Taylor took the ball on, thumping into the defensive line.

This inspired Chippenham to press for further points and their confident rucking allowed them to go through several phases to gain territory.

Winscombe conceded again and a quick tap-and-go by the ever-alert Hurring saw them gain another 10 metres for not retreating.

The backs lined up and quick hands saw them move numbers left to swamp the oncoming defence, with Waters gathering in a slightly loose pass at pace to plough through and score.

He converted well, kicking into the wind from out wide, to advance the lead to 17-0.

The next 15 minutes saw Winscombe press Chippenham hard, however, Chippenham were prepared to go patiently through several phases when they had the ball.

Chippenham should have added further points when Hurring took the ball on from a penalty 20 metres out but the forwards were slow to react and he was isolated.

Soon Chippenham were pressed back on their line but they eventually cleared their lines.

It was another infringement that led to Chippenham’s third try when Hurring got his reward when he seemed to run down the touch line through non-existent gaps, evading several tackles to score under the posts from 20 metres out.

Waters converted to seal a solid, hard fought victory to take them into the final.