MARLBOROUGH took over at the top of Southern Counties South as county rivals Corsham sprung a surprise against leaders Sherborne.

While Marlborough destroyed Blandford 50-0 at The Common on Saturday, Corsham secured a 19-13 triumph in Dorset to knock the previous pole-sitters off their perch.

Corsham head coach Tim Draper said: "This has to be one of our best results of the season so far.

"To defeat the league leaders who had only lost one other game previously was a fantastic achievement.

"The guys adapted to the conditions very well, kept their discipline in defence and took the opportunities that they created. It was an outstanding team performance.''

Sherborne kicked an early penalty to go 3-0 up but Corsham took an 8-3 lead into half-time after responding with a try from Adam Jamieson following a strong lineout drive and a penalty from Kalif Barnes.

The home team came back strongly at the start of the second half and drew level with a try but Corsham played the conditions well and a second penalty from Barnes and a drop goal by full-back Robbie Robinson took Corsham 14-8.

Then a well-worked move from a scrum saw Barnes go over for a try in the corner.

Sherborne replied with a late try but could not threaten again.

Marlborough continued their impressive run of form with an eight-try win in poor conditions.

The first try of the afternoon came after 10 minutes, as Russ Westcott was able to run in at the corner, scrum-half Jake Williams converting from the touchline.

James Farrell managed the game superbly and the forward strength showed, Joe Visei running in under the posts score before Williams scored a pick and go try, converting both.

In the second half Ben Caravou scored in the corner after good handling by the backs before the power of Jack Lynd took him over in the same corner.

Then a fast pass by Westcott gave Caravou the chance for his second before tackling from Lemeki Moala and Inosi Laqekoro forced a turnover and full-back Will Grant latched on to Ben Fulton's hack downfield to scored, Williams converting.

The final try, also converted, came from returning Craig Williamson who rounded off a good forwards move.

Devizes fell to a last-minute try in their mid-table battle with Frome, losing out 20-13.

Playing down the slope in the first half and went ahead with a penalty which was soon cancelled out before Frome were awarded a penalty try before the interval.

The lead was extended in the second period, but Devizes got back into it with an unconverted scored as full-back Chris Barter picked off a Frome attack inside his half and outpaced the defence.

Despite picking up injuries, the Saddlebacks continued to pressure the home side and got back on terms when the ball was shipped through hands to Lewis Dodds who continued his good try-scoring run of form.

However, having withstood pressure, the visitors succumbed with the last play of the game as Frome drove over, despite Devizes protests that the ball had been held up.

Devizes scrum-half John Bramwell was sin-binned for his protests as the conversion went over and time ran out.