CHIPPENHAM found themselves usurped for second place in South West One East as they surrendered a 10-point lead to slip to a 26-22 defeat at Banbury, who took over behind runaway leaders Old Patesians.

The visitors looked in a strong position to continue their pursuit of the Gloucestershire pacesetters with their scoreboard and numerical advantage - Banbury being down to 13 men at one stage - but late scores allowed the Bulls to sneak victory in the final play of the contest.

A Josh Deegan try put the home side ahead and Banbury strengthened their early advantage as Chris Phillips touched down and Ed Phillips added the conversion.

However, a break from Brad Doggett teed up Aaron Clarke for a converted score for Chippenham, who then lost Andy Rossiter to a yellow card for a high tackle.

Nevertheless Sam Saunders quickly-taken penalty allowed Jake Unwin to cross the whitewash and ensure parity before half-time.

After it, Chippenham took command as Dan Wainwright booted a penalty and then converted another Unwin try after scrum-half Tom Fogarty had tapped and gone from a penalty.

Banbury's cause seemed lost as Matthew Powell and Matt Brock saw yellow cards in quick succession, but they registered again as Ed Phillips found a way over and added the conversion.

Doggett saw yellow for Chippenham and, with time running out, Sam Stoop pounced for the winning try, Phillips rubbing salt into Wiltshire wounds with the conversion.

Royal Wootton Bassett opened the new year with a well-deserved 26-6 victory over top-half side Oxford Harlequins.

Quins, who had beaten Bassett earlier in the season, started well kicking an early penalty that was cancelled out by Bassett scrum-half Tom Fieldsend's effort.

The sides exchanged further penalties before half-time and after it, Bassett struck first as debutant winger Robert Cooper struck a long-range penalty.

A sequence of efforts on the Quins line were repelled but eventually the ball was fed to second row Chris Patterson, who dribbled the ball ahead and pounced under the posts for the try, Fieldsend converting.

A further Fieldsend penalty took them further clear and Bassett were able to add to their tally late in the game with a debut try for centre Sean Marsden, Fieldsend adding the extras.