CHIPPENHAM wrapped up the opening half of their South West One East campaign in sensational fashion as they obliterated Wimborne 124-3 at Allington Field.

The home side continued their rich vein of scoring home, which has seen them amass nearly 300 points in their last four league matches, as they remained in second place in the table heading into the second half of the season.

Two tries in the first 10 minutes paved the way, wing Brad Doggett crossing for the opener and scoring his second before the midway point of the first half.

Fellow wing Dan Carter added another before Doggett added his third and fourth scores, either side of a try for full-back Will Waddington.

Andy Rossiter's break set up Carter for another before Jacob Unwin kicked through for another and Charlie Palmer concluded the first-period scoring to make 60-3 at the interval.

The second half started in the same way Chippenham had finished the first with Carter and Palmer both adding to their try tallies within the first 10 minutes.

Unwin got his second of the match after Dan Wainwright broke through the middle and Doggett then got his fifth of the match before Unwin got his third with around 65 minutes gone.

There was not let-up to the final whistle, Waddington and Carter both adding further tries to take Chippenham past the 100 point mark and Unwin strolling through for his fourth of the day following some excellent build-up play from a dominant forward pack.

Tom Fogerty got his second of the afternoon before Waddington got the last try of the day after breaking on the right-hand side.

Royal Wootton Bassett's attempt to win at unbeaten league leaders Old Patesians for the second successive season got only as far as the 10th minute when they were reduced to 14 men, turning a daunting challenge into mission impossible.

Bassett started brightly despite playing uphill on the boggy pitch.

Two early attacks gave the travelling support some hope but Bassett then lost influential prop Chris Rowland to a red card and the sequence of scrums then resulted saw Pats score a pushover try to lead 5-0.

Bassett's 14 were then blown away as the powerful running from the Cheltenham men overpowered some valiant defending.

They trailed 41-0 at the break and Pats added three further tries to lead 58-0.

With the game lost Bassett opted to run the ball at every opportunity and a superb attack from their own half allowed second row Chris Patterson to bludgeon his way over the line. More fine attacking saw a lightning-quick run from winger Fin Dewar outpace the covering defence.

The hosts struck back with a couple more tries before Dewar went over for his second of the game, scrum-half Tom Fieldsend converting.

Pats added another but Fieldsend was agonisingly held up on the line by last-gasp defence to deny his side a try bonus-point in a 77-14 loss.