CHIPPENHAM got back to winning ways in South West One East as they edged a high-scoring encounter with Oxford Harlequins at Allington Field.

The home side were behind by margins of 12 and 10 points at various stages of the contest before coming through late on to wrap up the five-point success.

Thumped 53-22 by leaders Old Patesians in their last outing, the home side were rocked early on as Quins scored two tries, one converted to take a 12-point lead, with Chippenham's cause further undermined by an injury to second row Henry Kirkpatrick.

However they responded as Lewis Surry touched down for a converted score before lock Andy Rossiter, centre Jacob Unwin and fly-half Surry then created the position from which number eight and skipper Sam Saunders went over, the conversion taking Chippenham two points clear.

Centre Dan Carter's break and offload then sent full-back Will Waddington over, scrum-half Tom Fogerty converting, but a third Oxford try kept them well in the hunt at 21-17 at the interval.

The visitors then went back in front with a converted try to start the second-half scoring and another seven-pointer took them to 31-21 in the lead.

The hosts responded by battering away at the try line, replacement Ed Hendy crashing over for an unconverted score before Unwin found a route to the try line and replacement Dom Riccio added the extras to take his side back in front with under 10 minutes remaining.

Saunders capped the result with his second try.

Royal Wootton Bassett soared to their fifth win on the trot and into the top half of the table as they ran out 38-12 winners at struggling Bicester, despite trailing 12-0 early on.

The home side struck first as their forwards rumbled over under the posts but clever thinking from Bassett scrum-half Tom Fieldsend saw him charge down the attempted conversion.

A second pushover try followed, this time converted, but Bassett struck back when a series of lineouts on the Bicester line led to a maul which saw Fieldsend race over unchallenged on the blind side.

Second row and skipper David Hogg converted before a smart break from centre Elye Darragh saw him tackled close to the line but he was able to release the ball to full-back Fin Dewar who went over near the corner, Hogg landing an excellent conversion to take the visitors in front at the interval.

Bicester struggled with the continuity of the Bassett attacks after the break and number eight Kyle Lovell added an unconverted try following a shortened lineout.

Shortly after a power-packed run from second row Sam Robinson, following a Dewar break, saw the bonus point secured with the fourth try, Hogg converting.

Veteran flanker Tim Gallimore's superb run was held up on the line but the ensuing ruck saw Fieldsend make a sniping run to ghost past the Bicester defence and Hogg added the extras.

Bassett were then reduced to 13 in the final 10 minutes when prop Simon Anderton was injured with no further replacements possible and replacement forward Chris Patterson saw yellow for a deliberate knock-on.

However, influential prop Chris Rowland was able to force his way over and Hogg converted to seal victory.