AFTER two consecutive one-point defeats, Chippenham got back to winning ways with a comprehensive 57-7 win at Bicester in South West One East.

The visitors came out of the blocks firing and went ahead early on when Lewis Surry forced his way over under the posts after just three minutes, Dom Riccio successfully converting.

That was followed up by Brad Doggett scoring virtually from the restart with Riccio again adding the extras.

Chippenham continued their ball-in-hand style of rugby at pace which the home team found hard to compete against.

Bicester’s large forwards were found wanting when Charlie Palmer and Doggett added further tries in the first half.

After the break tries were scored at regular intervals with Jacob Unwin, Doggett completing his hat-trick and Riccio all crossing the line.

Bicester scored a consolation try with five minutes to go, but Chippenham saw Will Waddington add a further try, while Riccio also touched down again.

Royal Wootton Bassett’s chances of a first win of the season was thwarted by a several contentious decisions in a 21-17 defeat at Witney.

Having lost their previous three matches prior to the trip to Oxfordshire, Bassett were hoping that the tide was about to change after securing a losing bonus point at Oxford Harlequins the previous week.

But as the game on Saturday headed towards the dying minutes, controversy struck and Bassett were left with that losing feeling once more.

With Alan Low’s side 17-14 to the good, following tries from Elye Darragh and Fin Dewar, Witney were awarded a penalty try when the visitors were adjudged to have deliberately wheeled the scrum to prevent a try.

Bassett then fought their way back in an attempt to secure their first win of the campaign and they felt they had done so when prop Chris Rowland powered over, only for the ball to adjudged to be held up with the final play of the match.

“It was a nightmare,” said team manager George Loughlin.

“We have had a tough start to the season with the teams we have played and now the decisions are going against us.

“It may sound like sour grapes, but we know we have played the better rugby and to lose it’s hard to take.

“Also if you look at the corresponding fixtures from last year we lost all four of these games – and it is not going to get any easier with Salisbury on Saturday.”

DEVIZES booked their place in the semi finals of the Dorset & Wilts 1st XV Intermediate Cup without touching a ball as Blandford failed to raise a front row for their scheduled last-eight clash at London Road on Saturday.

PEWSEY Vale saw their hopes in the Dorset and Wilts Senior Vase ended in the opening round as they conceded 16 points in the final 15 minutes during their 23-5 defeat to Dorchester.

Having had the edge in the scrum in the first 40 minutes, Pewsey played the majority of the second half restricted by injuries to lock Darren Draper and number eight Chris Bartley, while prop Olly Spence saw yellow following a number of team penalties.

Dorchester took an early lead in this Vase with a converted try, while Pewsey bagged their try on the hour mark when centre Chris Takel pounced on James Haynes’ kick upfield to dot down.

Despite that score, Pewsey were unable to prevent Dorchester from taking their chances to book their place in the quarter-finals.

IN THE Dorset & Wilts 2nd XV Shield, Marlborough’s Alfred’s Nomads defeated Melksham 34-22 after extra time, flanker Dai Britton scoring two tries before James Clancy’s penalty made it 15-15.

In extra time, Jamie Pittams scored a try and a penalty try and Henry Webster score wrapped up the win.