CHIPPENHAM found themselves on the wrong end of a one-point defeat for the second week in succession in South West One East as Banbury made off with the winning spoils from Allington Field.

Having slipped to a 23-22 loss at Wimborne the previous week, Chippenham found themselves trailing to a Banbury penalty early on but bounced back with the first try of the game.

Quick thinking by captain Ryan Surry put Charlie Palmer away down the right side and despite defenders' attentions, he stayed in play to send the return pass to Surry, who touched down. Sam Saunders converted.

Palmer turned from creator to finisher for the next try, with Ed Hendy laying the groundwork for the score.

Banbury hit back with a try in the corner, after a period of concerted pressure but the hosts got the final score of the half, with a powerful burst down the touchline and offload by Doggett allowing Jacob Unwin to saunter over the line.

Banbury kicked a further penalty at the start of the second half but the home side struck back almost immediately.

A long miss pass from fly-half Lewis Surry to Unwin set the centre barrelling towards the line, with a sharp step inside leaving the covering defence floundering. Saunders converted.

With fresh legs from the bench Banbury took control of the following 20 minutes, scoring three unanswered converted tries to move 32-24 ahead as the match entered the final 10 minutes.

But Chippenham's backline conjured up a try from nowhere as another floated miss pass from Lewis Surry found Doggett, who ghosted through a gap in the defence and sprinted through to score, Saunders converting to pull his side to within a point.

Chippenham looked to have secured the win after Saunders slotted a penalty to claim a two-point lead with five minutes to go, but the hosts then coughed up a penalty of their own and Banbury landed a tough kick from 45 metres to maintain their 100 per cent start to the season.

Royal Wootton Bassett still await their first win of thecampaign, but did at least earn a bonus point from their 20-14 reverse at Oxford Harlequins.

Fin Dewar crossed for a try in the first half for the visitors, with Ieuan Clements adding the conversion.

Prop Chris Patterson touched down in the second period, again converted by Clements.