CHIPPENHAM reached the 50-point mark in South West One East as they delivered a derby thumping to local rivals Royal Wootton Bassett at Allington Field.

With two games remaining, just five points separate eighth-placed Bassett, who are level on points with Chippenham, from second-from-bottom Windsor, who will be Chippenham's opponents on the final day of the season following this coming weekend's trip to Swindon.

The home side opened the scoring after five minutes, a wide pass being collected by Matt Dickens who sliced through the defence unopposed.

Defence was on top for the rest of the half as neither side broke through Bassett kicking two penalties through Bassett winger Ieuan Clements to eke out a one-point lead.

The first score of the second half came just after half-time, after a quick tap penalty close to the line, the ball made its way to veteran skipper Ryan Surry, who pushed his way over, Dom Riccio adding the conversion.

Surry again touched down next, spotting a gap in the defensive line and rounding the full-back to go under the posts. Riccio converting.

Chippenham then built through the phases to create the overlap to allow hooker John Turner to stroll over in the corner for a converted score.

Directly from the restart, back row Sam Saunders ran the ball back through the tiring Bassett defence and expertly chipped the ball for Dickens to cross for his second score of the afternoon, Riccio adding the extras.

Number eight Aaron Clarke was next on the scoresheet after a strong run from Brad Doggett.

Bassett hit back with a superb try conjured by full-back Tom Fieldsend to go under the posts, but there was still time for a hat-trick score from Surry, Riccio again converting.

Bassett coach Alan Low said: "We were really disappointed with the result. It was a Jekyll & Hyde performance from us. 

“Chippenham got out of the blocks really well in front of a strong home crowd. They had a nice quick start but we were similar to the week before where we built into the game. 

“We had a try disallowed when Gavin Hooper had his foot on the line. There was no contention from us because it was out.

“We butchered two other scores in the first half which would have seen us go into the second half 15 or 20 points to the better. 

“It would have set a slightly different tone to the second half. Our second-half performance was one to put behind us. 

“They came at us really hard and got two quick scores, one after the other. That was the confidence boost they needed and they didn’t give up. 

“We slowed down a bit in the second half. We had three injury replacements in the first 20 minutes of the game so we didn’t have any players to bring on. 

“It did affect us. Chippenham got on top, they had some strong runners and I can’t fault the effort of any of our players. 

“It was performance for us which wasn’t good enough on the day. To concede six tries in a half was pretty poor.”