A SERIES of serious crashes marred yesterday's racing at the Castle Combe Circuit, including one driver being flown to hospital with head injuries.

Roy Bennett was involved in a crash during the second Superkart race of the day when it’s believed his engine seized on the approach to Quarry corner.

The driver, from Brookthorpe, needed to be cut out of his vehicle before being transferred to the track’s medical centre and later flown to hospital in Bristol. His condition is not yet known.

In the first Superkart race of the day, Luke Plain was also taken to hospital by road suffering from suspected concussion. Both races were red-flagged.

Bratton’s Ben Norton took his maiden victory of the season in the first Formula Ford 1600 race which also was red-flagged following an accident for Hugh Robertson.

Michael Moyers had started on pole from Felix Fisher, Chippenham’s Luke Cooper, Josh Fisher and Norton in fifth.

At the end of the opening lap it was Moyers followed by Norton but at the end of lap three the red-flag was shown following a huge accident for Robertson at Tower corner, from which he suffered minor injuries.

At the restart it was Norton who led followed by Moyers and reigning champion Roger Orgee, after starting seventh, who began to gap the field and all three crossed the finish-line less than half-a-second apart.

“I’m over the moon, the team have worked so hard and I’m thrilled for everyone associated with it,” said Norton, who previously won the FF1600 Championship in 2009 and 2012.

In the second race, there was a titanic battle between the trio with Orgee taking the honours after starting sixth, with poleman Moyers finishing second, Josh Fisher third and Norton just edged off the podium in fourth.

The results mean that both Moyers and Norton have to win the remaining round and hope that Orgee doesn’t score to have any chance of winning this year’s title.

The first of the Saloon races was halted after only five laps to allow the Great Western Ambulance to land at the circuit for the injured Bennett.

At the restart it was Calne’s Simon Thornton-Norris who led from pole followed by Gary Prebble, Dave Scaramanga and reigning champion Mark Wyatt.

The front quartet gapped the rest of the field with Scaramanga moving up to second and pressuring Thornton-Norris, who entered the race tied at the top of the driver’s championship with Chippenham’s Will Di Claudio.

Thornton-Norris took the win followed by Scaramanga and Prebble, with Di Claudio in his Class D car finishing twelfth and second in class.

In the second race, Thornton-Norris finished in second-place which was enough to give him the overall title after Di Claudio retired from the race.

Thornton-Norris once again started on pole but after the first lap was down to second behind Prebble with the duo crossing the line three-tenths apart with reigning Saloon car champion Mark Wyatt finishing in third, 18 seconds behind.