DEVIZES Town were denied a point in their Toolstation League First Division clash at home to Cheddar after floodlight failure brought a premature conclusion to the match.

Jack Hopper’s second-half equaliser for Devizes cancelled out Callum Ham’s opener at Nursteed Road, only for the lights on one side of the pitch to go out with five minutes to play, leading the match to be abandoned.

Devizes boss Darran Walters admitted the outcome was far from ideal for his troops, particularly with a heavy schedule coming up that sees Town play four more times before the turn of the year.

“It was really unfortunate. There were only a few minutes left in the game when suddenly all the lights went off down one side of the pitch,” said Walters.

“We didn’t feel it was right to play on in those circumstance so after a discussion with the referee and their management, there wasn’t really any alternative but to call it off.

“Cheddar are a good side and went into half-time 1-0 up but we came out in the second half and managed to get an equaliser.

“Although there were only five minutes left, the game certainly wasn’t over, so it was a shame to end like that.

“It is not ideal with it being such a busy schedule around Christmas anyway. I think they will have to come back on January 16 now, but it is just one of those things.”

The match was Devizes’ first at home for almost a month, with the team having suffered a dip in form of late after collecting just three of the last 21 points available in the league.

“We have been struggling of late and we haven’t won any of our last seven league games. It’s tough but we have just got to keep plugging away,” said Walters.

“It wasn’t a bad performance on Saturday but it looked like it was going to be another draw. That isn’t really enough for us at the moment – we need wins.

“We have got some derbies coming up over Christmas so hopefully we can do well and pick up a few wins.

“All the lads are always really up for those matches so hopefully we can raise our game and do well over the next few weeks.”

Elsewhere, Malmesbury Victoria and Corsham Town were both also left frustrated at the weekend as their Wiltshire derby was postponed after the match at the Flying Monk Ground fell victim to the cold weather.

There was better news for Chippenham Park as second-half strikes from Garry Lock and Lewis McCarron saw them edge to a 2-1 home win over Almondsbury – a result that saw them climb above their opponents in the table.

Calne Town were not so fortunate, however, as three goals in the final 17 minutes saw them fall to a 3-0 defeat at home to leaders Keynsham Town. James Ollis, Jordan Anstey and Matthew Curnock were all on target for the visitors.