MARK Collier reflected on a satisfactory first month in National League South for Chippenham Town as the Bluebirds clinched their second victory of the season today.

Last season's Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division champions had gone four games without a success since the opening week of the campaign earlier this month but followed up back-to-back 2-2 draws with East Thurrock United and Weston-super-Mare by seeing off Oxford City 3-2 at Hardenhuish Park.

Will Richard, James Guthrie and Andy Sandell found the net for the home side, although Collier admitted the victory should probably have been more comfortable as a second Oxford goal just before the midway point of the second half made for an unnecessarily nervous final quarter.

"It was a well-deserved win,'' observed Collier. "Oxford played with a lot of purpose but we got ourselves into a 3-1 lead and we were good value for that lead.

"We were hoping for a far more comfortable last 20 minutes but we got caught by an absolute sucker punch and suddenly it was 3-2. We know that teams are going to keep working in this league so we had to see it out.''

Oxford went close with a couple of early sorties but the Bluebirds seized the lead on seven minutes when Sandell's cross found its way to Will Richards, who headed home the opener.

The lead was to last barely three minutes before Zac McEachran fired a fine free kick past home keeper Jared Thompson.

But eight minute later the hosts were back in front as a Sandell long throw eventually found its way to Guthrie, who lashed it home.

Sandell had a couple of further chances before the interval but he seemed to wrapped up the victory for Town 10 minutes into the second half as he rounded off a move that saw striker partner Dave Pratt make a surging run down the right.

That seemed to be that but the visitors caught Chippenham out on the break and Greg Tindle fouled Godfrey Poku, allowing Matt Paterson to find the net from the penalty spot.

As the home nerves jangled, Thompson produced a magnificent stoppage-time save to preserve the three points.

Collier added: "We'd had a couple of draws recently but those draws were still points on the board. We've still kept our morale up and we know there are bigger times ahead of us.

"We freshened things up a bit and Scott Donnelly played for the first time and it was a welcome three points.''

Collier also revealed that Mark Cooper has left the club and signed for Evo-Stik League South Premier side Weymouth, following the earlier departures of Chris Allen to Toolstation League Premier side Melksham and Rhys Baggridge on loan to Salisbury.

The manager added: “Coops has failed to break into the squad and, as all players, wants to be playing.

"I wish him all the best and thank him for his professionalism throughout the pre-season and fully understand his reasons for leaving.”