CHIPPENHAM Town recorded their first victory in National League South in fine style as they dispatched local rivals Bath City 5-2 away from home.

Matt Smith and Dave Pratt scored either side of Andy Watkins’ goal for the hosts in a frantic opening 16 minutes.

Things calmed down as the half progressed but Chippenham ensured their first half dominance told on the scoreboard as Andy Sandell netted from the penalty spot.

A fourth came for Chippenham just after the hour mark from the head of Will Richards before Sandell got his second of the night for the Bluebirds in the 73rd minute, Connor Lemonheigh-Evans netting a late penalty for the hosts.

Playing at Twerton Park for the first time in 10 years, it was the perfect start for Chippenham as they took the lead inside five minutes.

Andy Sandell’s long throw into the box was flicked on at the edge of the six-yard box and Smith popped up unmarked at the near post to poke the ball past a hapless Luke Southwood and net Chippenham’s first ever National League South goal.

The lead was short lived as it took just six minutes for the hosts to restore parity.

A free-kick, just inside the Chippenham half was floated to the back post by Billy Murphy and when the ball bounced in the box, Watkins was on hand to fire home from close range.

Sandell was involved in the action again in the 16th minute as his ball from the left found Pratt towering highest in the box and his downward header nestled nicely into the far corner to restore the visitors’ lead.

Chippenham gave themselves a two-goal cushion three minutes before the break when Pratt was felled in the box by Jack Batten as he tripped over the defender’s leg at the end of a tricky run.

And Sandell made no mistake from the spot as he sent the keeper the wrong way as he slammed the ball home.

The start of the second period failed to live up to the excitement levels set by the first, as Chippenham were happy to dictate the pace of proceedings.

It was the visitors who came closest to extending their advantage in the 49th minute when a free-kick from the left bounced awkwardly in front of Bath skipper Darren Jones and Southwood had to be alert to prevent him turning into his own net off his knee.

Chippenham’s fourth did come by their own esteem in the 62nd minute after Sandell had worked hard to earn his side a corner.

Jake Andrews delivered the ball in and Richards rose unmarked in the centre and his bullet header found the back of the net.

Sandell all but put the game to bed with 17 minutes of the game still remaining when he showed his strength in the box to hold off his defender and turn and fire across the goalkeeper to find the net.

There was enough time left in proceedings for Bath to pull back a late goal from the penalty spot through Lemonheigh-Evans after Greg Tindle pulled down substitute Marvin Morgan in the box in the 81st minute.

BATH CITY: Southwood, Welch-Hayes, Straker, Batten, Jones, Artus, Lemonheigh-Evans, Murphy (Rigg 64’), Jarvis (Morgan 45’), Lucas (Diallo 45’), Watkins

CHIPPENHAM TOWN: Thompson, Bowmans (Horgan 79’), Felix, Evans, Tindle, Richards, Ferguson, Smith, Pratt, Sandell (O’Brien 79’), Andrews (Guthrie 70’)