CORSHAM Town lost 5-2 to Swindon Supermarine in the final of the Wiltshire Premier Shield on Tuesday night.

The Hellenic League side made their Southern League Premier South opponents work hard for the victory at The County Ground, but in the end the superior quality and fitness of Lee Spalding’s side showed.

Manager Kieran Baggs spoke of his pride post-match, saying that for Corsham to have even reached the final was a massive achievement while the likes of Swindon Town, Melksham Town and Salisbury had not.

A cagey first 20 minutes eventually made way for the first goal of the evening, but unfortunately for Corsham it was a mistake which allowed it to happen.

Henry Spalding powered a low strike towards Rob Brown’s goal from the edge of the box, and the ball squirmed through the goalkeeper’s clutches before rolling over the line.

The Quarrymen’s luck was not about to change either as Marine doubled their advantage after half an hour via an own goal. Matt Briton saw his shot saved by Brown but pushed into the path of Conro McDonagh out wide.

The dangerous forward crossed back into the middle and a red-shirted defender deflected the ball into his own net.

Just as Marine seemed to be coasting, Corsham’s leading marksman halved the deficit with a fine header from a corner. Gary Higdon rose highest to plant an effort past Martin Horsell just before the break.

Baggs’ men emerged from the break buoyed by their late goal and went on to equalise in the 59th minute. From another corner, Matt Jenkins headed a half-cleared ball back into the middle before Aysa Corrick flicked in from a few yards out.

With momentum firmly on their side, Corsham almost went ahead five minutes later when a low shot towards the near post was well kept out by Horsell.

However, Spalding’s side regained their composure to score via a wonderful diving header from Harry Williams with 20 minutes to play.

Corsham’s dangerman, Corrick, was forced off with a serious ankle injury late on, and from there Marine put their foot down to seal the win.

Bristol Rovers loanee Kieran Phillips touched home from close range in the 89th minute before Henry Spalding curled into the far corner from the edge of the box in added time to seal the result.