JOEL Grant scored his first goal for Swindon Town as Richie Wellens’ men came from behind to beat Hull City 2-1 at the County Ground.

Despite going a goal down inside 20 minutes – thanks to Keane Lewis-Potter’s well taken counter-attack – Town responded with good character as Paul Caddis levelled the scores prior to the break with a thumping finish.

Despite their manager not being present to witness the gritty performance, Wellens would have been delighted to see Grant finish with aplomb in the second half after being cruelly denied late against Northampton Town 11 days ago.

Swindon then held on to secure their first league win in five – since the 4-2 home victory against Burton Albion six weeks ago.

Wellens made two changes to the team that fell to a 2-1 defeat at Northampton.

Mathieu Baudry and Jordan Stevens missed out altogether, while Hallam Hope started after initially being named on the bench.

Dion Donohue recovered from his minor injury to start at left-back while Joel Grant made his way into the starting XI.

Once again, Swindon named just six substitutes, though this later turned into five as Tyler Smith pulled out with an injury in the warm-up.

Despite an even start possession-wise, Hull won a handful of early corners and looked more dangerous in the final third.

And 16 minutes into the game, they proved just how dangerous they could be after George Honeyman rolled a pass into Lewis-Potter inside his own half, and the winger just took off at Town's defence.

Jonny Smith tried to get back and disrupt the move, but was shrugged off as Lewis-Potter continued towards the area and curled his finish past Kovar.

The Bristol City winger had Town’s first shot of the game shortly after, but his deflected strike was blocked out for a corner.

Greg Docherty curled straight at Kovar in the 26th minute after Honeyman went down on the edge of the box looking for a free-kick.

The Hull player reacted quicker, but his shot was quite tame.

But despite an incredibly slow start from the hosts, a bit of sharp thinking from Town's right-back saw Swindon pull level after half an hour.

Caddis won the corner initially and floated into space as Hull prepared to set up.

Matt Smith played the pass into the Scot in acres of space inside the box. Caddis simply took a touch and absolutely hammered his shot in off the underside of the bar.

The goal gave Town a look that has rarely been season this season as Wellens’ men enjoyed much the better of the remaining time in the first half.

Jonny Smith volleyed narrowly over following the goal before almost turning provider minutes later thanks to a wonderful drilled cross.

Unfortunately for Town, Hope was inches away from being able to get on the end and convert.

And it was Jonny Smith once again who almost gave Town the lead prior to the break.

Short, sharp passing from Swindon on the right saw the ball eventually fall to Smith for a shot on the edge of the box.

The winger whipped his left footed effort goalwards, but an outstretched Matt Ingram denied him well prior to the break.

Town continued their excellent end to the first half at the beginning of the second, and brilliantly took the lead in the 54th minute through Joel Grant.

Swindon’s defence beat Hull's press at the back and Caddis came away with it down the right.

The Scot found Hope in the middle who delicately laid the ball off to the rampaging Grant through the middle.

He still had a bit of work to do, did Grant, but he steadied himself and confidently blasted into the bottom corner for his first Town goal.

The goal came minutes after the hosts saw cries for a penalty waved away as Grant went down under the challenge of Ingram.

Matt Smith did really well to keep a mis-placed pass in down the right and poke it back towards Grant in the middle.

The attacker went down looking for a penalty, but it looked like the correct decision to wave play on.

As the visitors piled on the pressure for an equaliser, Swindon had the linesman to thank that Hull didn’t find it after substitute Josh Magennis headed into an empty net via a free-kick with 20 minute to go.

Honeyman’s ball in found the unmarked Northern Ireland international, but the hosts’ offside trap worked to perfection and the goal was ruled out.

Swindon then saw out the final 15 minutes with relative ease, as Hull failed to create any serious chances late on.

STFC starting XI: Kovar, Caddis, Odimayo, Grounds, Donohue, M Smith, A Grant, J Smith, Payne, J Grant, T Smith.

HCFC starting XI: Ingram, Emmanual, Burke, De Wijs, Elder, Docherty, Honeyman, Smallwood, Wilks, Eaves, Lewis-Potter.