READ our comprehensive round up of this weekend's Chippenham & District Sunday League action below.

Ashton & Devizes conjure up cup upsets

Just three weeks into the 2020/2021 campaign of the shoestrings-chargrill Chippenham & District League, and teams had a rest from league action as the AM Print & Copy sponsored Knockout Cup took centre stage, with second division sides FC Devizes United and Steeple Ashton conjuring up the first round shocks with victories over respective opponents Corsham Wildcats and Sutton Benger.

FC Devizes United who reached the semi-final stage last term before the season was curtailed and the competition declared null and void visited Corsham Wildcats and Oscar Webster’s side showed they again mean business as a 6-3 victory saw them dump out one of this terms fancied teams for cup success.

It was Oscar Webster himself who put Devizes ahead on 8 minutes. Kam Muhid doubled the score on 23 minutes and when Charlie Strickland added a third on 40 minutes, Devizes were in total control of the tie.

Wildcats struck back in the second period with goals from Luke Curtis, Mel King and substitute Sam Thomson, but the goals were in vain as a second for Muhid and a double for man of the match Jamie Walters who also had a hand in three goals completed the half dozen.

Steeple Ashton 3 Sutton Benger 1

Another cup upset happened at St Marys, where second division hosts Steeple Ashton defeated early first division pacesetters Sutton Benger 3-1.

After their bright start to the season, Benger would have gone into the match as favourites against Steeple Ashton, but against an Ashton who started the brighter of the teams they found themselves a goal down midway through the first half as Tom A'Court put the home team 1-up.

Despite some resolute defending from Benger, Ashton doubled their lead right on the stroke of half time, Adrian Webster capitalising on a defensive error from Josh Saville and firing past Dan Hughes for 2-0.

Benger, manager Kai Flack rang the changes, in a bid to get back into the game and in pressing to get the goal to reduce the arrears, they were caught on the break, Will Harford latching onto a wonderful through ball and dispatching his effort for the killer third goal.

Benger did not give up however and they finally tested Dale Raine in the Ashton goal midway through the half, the highlight a fantastic double save from a long range Ethan Jones effort and Matt Blackmore's follow up. Benger finally got themselves on the score sheet in the final few minutes, Joe Merriman bundling home from close range following an Ethan Jones corner

Beeches FC 0 FC Lacock 3

Premier division, FC Lacock, who like FC Devizes United reached the Knockout Cup semi-final stage, ahead of the previous campaign being cut short, were in action for the first time this season. The villagers showed no signs of rustiness as they overcame first division opponents Beeches FC 3-0 to progress to the second round of a competition they will have their sights on winning this time around.

First half goals from Billy Gleed and Josh Bright along with Mark Dolman’s second half strike sealed the win for Ryan Ross’s men, who were denied further goals by the heroics of Beeches keeper Ben Copper who pulled off a strings of great saves including a first half penalty save.

Bremhill View 0 FC Pilot 2

FC Pilot who have had a positive start to their top flight campaign avoided a potential banana skin away at first division Bremhill View two second half goals saw them claim a hard fought 2-0 win in a match that was competitive from start to finished and well refereed by Julian Sattin.

In a very cagey first half between two fully committed sides, they only thing missing was a goal as chances were few and far between.

The second half was more open with play flip flopping from one end to another, before Pilot found the all-important breakthrough with 20 minutes remaining when Ian Dowell lashed home a stunner following a corner.

A great save from Pilot keeper Dan Neale maintained his teams slender lead before a counter attack from the Pilot and a cute finish for top scorer Rhys Tallmash secured the win for Graham Griffiths side to put them into the next round.

Chippenham Icons 1 AFC Melksham 3

AFC Melksham were another premier division side who avoided a possible early exit against a so called lesser side. Dave Jenkins side were on the road at first division Chippenham Icons and despite falling a goal behind they fought back to claim a 3-1 success.

Richard Hudson had given Icons the lead from the penalty spot, only for Melksham to get back on level terms prior to half time through Joe Moloney.

Rob O’Harrow put Melksham 2-1 up in the second half, and Jack Woolsgrove added the third to complete the Melksham turnaround.

FC Libby 4 Old Road FC 4 AET – FC Libby won 4-3 on penalties

FC Libby and Old Road met twice in Division one last term, with Old Road winning both meetings, 7-1 and 12-0, now in Division two and with a crop of new players Libby turned the table on their Chippenham based rivals with a 4-3 penalty shoot-out success after 120 minutes saw the score tied at 4-apiece.

Jordan Meakin (FC Libby) and Seamus Nickless-Mooney (Old Road) shared first half goals. Owen Pearce and Cameron Pearce netted in the second half for Libby while Nickless-Mooney and Bobby Clifford were on target for Old Road. Dan Walker’s extra time strike for Libby was cancelled out by Aaron Holbrook’s effort for Old Road and took the game to penalties.

Owen Pearce, Walker, Josh Draper and Rhys Edwards converted their spot kicks for Libby, although Dean Moore missed his penalty, Libby keeper Sam Robinson saved Jack Dunn’s effort after Will Green had skied his effort for Old Road to send Libby into the last 16.

Fox & Hounds (Warminster) 2 Calne Athletic 3 AET

The all-third division clash between Fox & Hounds (Warminster) and Calne Athletic was one of three ties that required extra time to find a winner.

Jake Owen and a stunning 20 yard finish from Reece Collyer put Fox & Hounds 2-0 ahead, however prior to Collyer’s goal the hosts lost Jamie Yard who was sent off for a professional foul.

Despite being a man down Fox & Hounds had chances to extend the lead, unfortunately those missed chances were to prove costly as goals from Aaron Tyler from a Steve Browning assist and Marcus Fenton saw parity restored to take the contest to extra time where a Callum Fortune struck the winner for Athletic, which came after the Fox had wasted chances of their own to seal victory.

Kingfisher 2 North Star Club 3

Kingfisher maybe struggling at the foot of division one, but for an hour of their cup tie with top flight North Star Club they had hopes of causing a cup upset. 2-0 up and looking good, Kingfisher were undone by the introduction of super-sub Tyler Beattie who came off the bench to inspire Star to a 3-2 success.

Luke Carr’s goal had given the Fishermen a 1-0 half time lead. A fantastic ball from Josh Pullin picked out Todd Richardson and a brilliant piece of ball control saw him take the ball down skip pass two players and fired home for 2-0 on 47 minutes.

Ben Tylee reduced the deficit for North Star and substitute Beattie got the Calne based team back on level terms before he completed the incredible by bagging what proved to be the winner for Martin Belcher and Liam Westland’s side.

Lavis FC 2 Bromham 9 AET

Premier division Bromham had enough chances in the first half away at Lavis FC to have won their first round tie a few times over; however all they had to show for their dominance was a Charlie Street effort.

After the break, Bromham were stunned as a much improved Lavis got back on level terms courtesy of a Jack Booth penalty and Mark Maguire headed them ahead an upset was on the cards, but with 2 minutes remaining Will Baguley saved the villagers blushes with an equaliser that took the game to extra time.

If Bromham didn’t have their scoring boots on in the 90 minutes of normal time, they certainly did in the 30 minutes of extra time as they struck 7 unanswered goals to run out 9-2 victors.

Eddie Summers helped himself to a 4-timer, Charlie Street added a second to his first half effort and the scoring was completed by a double for Jack Lenaghan on his debut.

Misfits 0 Royal Oak FC 7

A 7-0 victory for First division, Royal Oak away at second division Misfits earned them a last 16 spot.

Chris O’Donovan, Sam Chapman, Cameron Wildman and Josh Duckett shared the first half goals for the Oakmen. Chris O’Donovan helped himself to a couple more after the break to complete a hat trick while Sam Chapman made up the 7 with his second of the contest.

Pack Horse FC 5 Bath Road FC 4

Second division Pack Horse hosted top flight Bath Road FC in an exhilarating cup contest that produced a 9-goal thriller, which despite a brilliant second half revival from Bath Road ended with them on the wrong end of a 5-4 score line.

After drawing a blank in their opening game of the season last weekend, Josh Legg and Adam Shipman helped Pack Horse take a 2-1 interval lead over their guests at Beversbrook, Aiden Jackson keeping the visitors in the tie.

The second half saw Pack Horse open up a 5-1 lead as Max Wyatt a couple more from Josh Legg that completed his hat trick, seemingly put the home team well on top. Bath Road may have been down but they didn’t give up and got themselves back in the tie with a second from Jackson that them some hope before goals for Jack Sanderson and Nick Mills turned their hopes into reality.

Bath Road threw everything at their hosts as the hunted an equaliser, but it wasn’t too be as the clock and some resolute late defending saw Gary Williamson’s side finally get over the line.

Semington FC 2 The Castle FC 1

Second division, The Castle who opened their account for the season last weekend with a thumping 12-2 victory over Calne Athletic travelled to top flight Semington FC looking to cause a cup upset, however despite giving it their best shot, Tom Perkins side suffered a 2-1 loss.

Goals for Dan Rimmer and Ed Leeson put Semington 2-0 ahead at the break. Dan Slone pulled a goal back for Castle, however his second half effort was just a consolation as Semington held to claim their place in the second round of a competition that they reached the final of in 2016.

Spartak Rudloe v FC Consti - Home Walkover

Spartak Rudloe were due to host FC Consti in their first round encounter, but with Consti withdrawing from the league prior to the start of the season, Spartak received a walkover into the next round.

Warminster Athletic FC 3 Calne United 6

Calne United came out on top in there cup clash away at fellow second outfit Warminster Athletic. Three goals in each half earned them a 6-3 victory over their hosts who had battled back from 3-1 down to get back on level terms before losing out.

George Madden, Jordan Stewart and Gareth Lloyd netted for Calne in a first half that saw Alex Mitchell score for Warminster.

Goals from Bradley Edwards and Rob Whitty got the hosts back on level terms only for Calne to rediscover the route to goal, as Ashley Monaghan reclaimed the lead for Pete Horne’s side. Sorin Cosmin Soreanu made it 5-3 before a second from Monaghan wrapped up the win to book his team a place in the second round.