ROYAL Wootton Bassett Town bowed out of the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday following a gutsy 2-1 defeat to National League South outfit, Oxford City.

Sam Ockwell had Bassett dreaming of a third upset win in a row at the second qualifying round stage, but Dan Matzusaka’s headed equaliser and Jacob Bancroft’s fortuitous winning goal with five minutes remaining saw City progress instead.

In the opening quarter of the game, it was Bassett who had arguably the best opportunity – Ockwell firing a low free-kick in from thirty yards which visiting stopper Ben Dudzinski had to ensure he paid close attention to.

Bassett, unsurprisingly, did find themselves living a little dangerously. And they had Roberts’ trigger-happy nature to thank that they weren’t behind in the 24th minute as he curled wide after a quick break. Meanwhile, Elliot Benyon’s deflected cross struck the bar.

However, the teams went in level at the interval, and most felt it was everything Bassett deserved for a determined, disciplined display during the opening half.

Following the restart, Harvey Bradbury headed narrowly over from a Josh Ashby corner before Bassett shocked their visitors.

Having been tripped by Matsuzaka, Mark Francis earned a free kick just outside the area that Ockwell confidently fizzed low beneath the wall. The Bassett man's effort skidded off the slick surface and beneath Dudzinski.

Bassett had their lead – and were now half an hour away from the most improbable of upsets.

Oxford, however, had other ideas.

Almost immediately they got back on terms. Ashby floated in another corner and, rising inches above TJ Bohane, Matzusaka powered a header towards the top right corner which Chris Taylor was just unable to head off the line.

With his first touch of the game, substitute Bancroft then came close to giving the visitors the lead, but his first time shot from an Aaron Drewe cross went narrowly over.

Bassett kept asking questions of their opponents, but neither side was able to take firm control of the game.

But with six minutes to go, Roberts crossed in from the right and as Matt Berry-Hargreaves sought to clear the ball, it bounced immediately off Bancroft and squirmed into the bottom left corner.

It was a cruel blow for Bassett – and would ultimately prove the difference between the teams.

However, it was not the final action of the game and Bassett pushed for an equaliser late on.

Ockwell flashed a 20-yard free kick narrowly wide of the right post. Then, in injury time, Berry-Hargreaves’ hanging cross was flapped at by Dudzinski.

Jack Baker and Gio Wrona both had bites at the cherry but, much to the visitors’ relief, the ball bounced around the box before settling into the arms of the Oxford ‘keeper.