DEVIZES returned from Swindon College Old Boys with a thrilling 22-22 draw in Southern Counties South on Saturday.

Devizes started the match as they had finished the previous contest against Swindon, well in the ascendancy and made the breakthrough after just three minutes.

A sweeping move up the pitch saw some good hands in the forward line create a hole in the middle of the pitch deep in the 22 for flanker Will Hine to crash over – Gus O’Connor converted to make it 7-0.

SCOB then came back into it with some strong carries, largely in the pack, but had to settle for three points as Devizes repelled any threatening attacks with some solid defence.

Devizes responded again as more good handling close to the SCOB line saw centre Chris Barter break the defence and stretch out to ground the ball over the line and make it 12-3.

The home side had their best spell of the first half but were then pushed back 20m by a dominant Saddlebacks defence.

This resulted in a looped pass being intercepted by wing Conor Scott, who carried the ball 50m up the field before being felled.

However, the offload found fellow back Quinn Clarke to dive over the try-line.

With O’Connor converting to make it 19-3, Devizes appeared to be in a commanding position going into the break.

The second half saw Devizes go into their shells a bit and the home side started to dictate play and take advantage of significant momentum.

Following some strong words at the break, SCOB scored two tries in quick succession to cut their deficit to 19-17.

The match was becoming increasingly fractious with both sides shown yellow cards and numerous scuffles breaking out.

Devizes edged further ahead with a penalty, however, the hosts were not finished with their own scoring as they dotted the ball down out wide to level the game at 22-22.

Fortunately for Devizes, the conversion was missed and there were still three minutes left on the clock.

Devizes responded well and fashioned a chance to win the game as the home side were penalised for offside, however O’Connor’s penalty kick drifted agonisingly wide of the posts.

Elsewhere, Corsham were beaten heavily away at Thatcham, falling 33-7.