GRIMSBY Town had little hope of scoring goals on Saturday because of Swindon Town’s well-organised and high defensive line, manager Richie Wellens stated on the back of his side’s dominant 3-0 win in League Two.

The potentially dangerous six-feet-four Mariners forward James Hanson was rarely seen in possession inside Swindon’s penalty area as visiting goalkeeper Steven Benda marshalled the left to right back four of Rob Hunt, Zeki Fryers, Mathieu Baudry and Paul Caddis excellently.

Even in instances where Swindon failed to win possession at the first and second attempt from one of Grimsby’s inevitable long balls forward, the hosts still found themselves at least 25 yards away from Benda’s goal.

It, therefore, took no tactically-aware onlooker by surprise that Swindon recorded a seventh clean sheet of the season in all competitions and remained top of the League Two table following Saturday’s three-goal win.

Although Wellens admits to seeing potential in Anthony Limbrick’s post as Grimsby manager, he couldn’t shy away from his squad’s dominant performance that merited three points.

“We pressed Grimsby so high up the pitch that their diagonal balls and long balls to (James) Hanson weren’t effective,” said Wellens.

“If you come to Grimsby and play deep against someone like Hanson, then you run the risk of conceding goals.

“Our defensive line was very good, and Steven Benda’s starting position was good also. All in all, it was a very organised and professional performance when out of possession.

“And we all know what we can do when we get the ball down and play.”

Defender Dion Donohue, subject to a contractual matter that is in the EFL’s hands, was in attendance on Saturday and watched the game from the grandstand behind both technical areas in the company of Scott Twine.

The 26-year-old full-back’s initial one-month contract, which proved successful, ended suspiciously with Donohue only offered an extension following a case of which details haven’t been declared by the club.

Donohue’s extension, however, has so far been blocked by the EFL, and a scheduled meeting last Thursday was also postponed.

Wellens explained: “They (the EFL) haven’t decided if he can or can’t play between now and January. We’ll push it first thing on Monday morning, I would imagine we’ll get an answer then.

“We’re keeping him fit, and he’ll be ready to go back into the squad. We can’t pay him, because the registration hasn’t gone through.

“He hasn’t earned a living for the past few weeks.”