FOREST Green dropped to second as Plymouth claimed a narrow 1-0 win at the New Lawn.

Antoni Sarcevic curled the ball in from the edge of the box after 24 minutes and it took a deflection before beating goalkeeper Alex Palmer to seal all three points.

Scott Wharton bagged a brace as Northamtpon moved up two places to seventh following a comfortable 4-1 victory at home to fourth-placed Crewe.

Wharton put the hosts ahead with a very close-range effort after 10 minutes and the on-loan Blackburn defender doubled their score and completed his brace with a volley eight minutes later.

Sam Hoskins made it three midway through the first half as his penalty beat Will Jaaskelainen into the bottom-left corner, while Chris Porter pulled one back for the visitors eight minutes before the break with his eighth league effort this term.

The Cobblers extended their lead through Andy Williams 12 minutes into the second half.

Exeter and Cheltenham remain in the play-off positions after sharing the spoils from a goalless draw at St James Park.

Port Vale extended their unbeaten league run to five matches after recording a 2-1 comeback victory at home to Carlisle.

Ryan Loft put the away side ahead in the opening minute as he picked out the bottom corner with a close-range finish thanks to Gethin Jones' assist.

David Worrall turned James Gibbons' headed pass home on the hour to level matters and Mark Cullen's header completed the turnaround for Vale who move up to eighth to leave the Cumbrians five points off the bottom.

Cole Stockton claimed a much needed late equaliser as struggling Morecambe moved off the bottom after rescuing a point from a 1-1 draw at Crawley.

Top-scorer Bez Lubala slotted a penalty into the bottom-left corner just before the break to hand the Reds a first-half lead.

Scunthorpe extended their unbeaten run to four matches thanks to a 2-0 victory at Leyton Orient.

Former Newcastle youth player Alex Gilliead handed the visitors an early lead as he hit the target from outside the box following a corner and Lee Novak completed the scoring late on.

Walsall held on for a much-needed 2-1 home victory over Cambridge to sit five points above bottom side Stevenage.

The home side got off to a strong start and went two goals up in the opening 10 minutes thanks to a first-minute opener from Josh Gordon before Mat Sadler headed Alfie Bates' cross home to double their tally.

Cambridge pulled one back late on through Harvey Knibbs but the Saddlers held on for maximum points, while the clash between mid-table rivals Macclesfield and Mansfield at Moss Rose finished goalless.