ROYAL Wootton Bassett maintained their 100 per cent winning start to the new South West One East season with a 13-3 success away at Wimborne last weekend.

However, wretched weather conditions robbed them of a bonus point for the first time in eight games as driving rain was sustained throughout the 80 minutes.

The first half saw Bassett benefit from the advantage of a strong wind behind them and they were camped on the Wimborne tryline but the home defence was solid.

However, Wimborne’s resolve was breached 10 minutes in as Joshua McCafferty was able to force his way over the tryline from a short-range lineout before Troy Cusack added an excellent conversion.

Bassett continued to kick to the corner but lineouts became problematic in the face of a strong wind and Wimborne's brave defending as the visitors retained their 7-0 lead at the interval.

After the restart, Bassett immediately put Wimborne on the back foot and extended their advantage to 10-0 when Wimborne transgressed at the breakdown and Cusack added the penalty.

Wimborne began to mount attacks of their own and although they pounded the Bassett line, the visiting defence held firm.

With 10 minutes remaining, Bassett were caught offside and Wimborne slotted the penalty to give themselves the chance of claiming a losing point bonus.

This seemed to spur the visitors on, and after several late drives towards the tryline were held up, Cusack added a late penalty to cap another away-day triumph.

Elsewhere, Chippenham let the chance of a Wiltshire derby win at home to Marlborough slip through their fingers as a late penalty saw the visitors snatch a 17-14 success.

Marlborough started with the wind at their backs and they were soon into their stride with a converted try after just five minutes.

This roused Chippenham into life and after building pressure, Marlborough conceded the first of a number of penalties.

Oli Alcorn was unlucky with his first attempt at the posts so opted to kick to touch with the next. The lineout was taken cleanly by Harry Murphy and Viliame Kotobalavu crashed over a few phases later, although Alcorn missed the conversion in the blustery wind.

Chippenham began to build pressure again and two Alcorn penalties moved the home side into a 11-7 lead.

The referee then decided further action was needed and a yellow card saw Marlborough reduced to 14 men for a spell, although no further scores were added before half-time.

The second half saw Chippenham with the benefit of the wind but handling was not the easiest as the ball became increasingly slippery. Injuries mounted on both sides too and the physios were kept busy.

Play remained tight and neither side could find the edge, with Alcorn narrowly missing another penalty.

Tom Douglas then took over from the tee for the hosts and also sent an effort wide as Chippenham were unable to turn pressure into points.

Soon it was Marlborough’s turn to march up the pitch and they camped themselves on the Chippenham tryline.

Attack after attack was repelled but Marlborough continued to push and finally scored near the posts, making the conversion a formality.

This irked Chippenham and they charged back up the pitch, with Marlborough coughing up another penalty. This time Douglas made no mistake to level the score at 14-14.

Marlborough launched another attack of their own and won a penalty on the 22m line. After a little discussion and with time running out, they opted for the kick and slotted it sweetly through the middle of the posts to snatch the win.

Finally, Trowbridge ended a run of five defeats in a row with victory in their own Wiltshire derby – beating Salisbury 27-14 at home.