DOMINANT Marshfield extended their winning groove at the weekend by comprehensively downing Trowbridge and District League strugglers Freshford United 6-1.

A Ben Hibberd header put Marshfield ahead early before further markers from Kieron Tarrant and Jake Anderson established a three-goal lead at the break.

Anderson notched a second in the concluding 45 before Tom Rooney pulled one back for Freshford.

That proved nothing more than a consolation strike for trying Freshford, though, as they conceded twice more – Callum Duckett and Tarrant adding goals five and six.

Next weekend will prove key in the title race as Marshfield face second placed Heytesbury – currently eight points behind the top club with two games in hand.

Heytesbury will enter the game having had their confidence dented following the weekend’s 2-2 draw with Warminster United.

In fairness to Heytesbury, they earned their latest point the hard way – fighting from two goals behind to share the points.

Craig Sheppard and Liam Gibbens earned Warminster their two-goal lead with just eight minutes played. But the hosts’ failure to score another goal from then on denied them a fourth win from six.

Corey Gardner converted a 30-yard free kick to peg half Warminster’s lead before he added a second from the penalty spot with only four minutes remaining after Jake Wright was fouled.

Calne Town Reserves at last got off the mark when they defeated Semington Magpies 5-3.

Goals from Antony Lamb, Kyle Morgan-Hemmins and Oliver Winchcombe put Semington 3-2 up at half time.

But Brett Fairclough’s brace, coupled with Jack Coward, Adam Sullivan and Lehine Abraham’s strikes, hurt struggling Semington.

Melksham Town A’s hopeless start to the season continued, they were beaten 5-0 by Devizes Town Reserves – who consequently jumped up to fifth, while Three Daggers won their third game of the season when beating Warminster Town Reserves 3-1.

In Division Two, Staverton United continue to lead the way after the downed Trowbridge Town Reserves to record a sixth win of the season.

Two goals each from Harry Ledbury and Alex Shaw – plus Kye Teague’s handy marker – confirmed Staverton’s 100 per cent record continued.

Calne Eagles are hot on the leaders’ heels, though. Pressure from below continues to haunt Staverton as Eagles despatched of Dilton Marsh Wanderers 4-1.

KEW PR FC was another team to maintain their 100 per cent record this season at the weekend.

Aces FC were downed 4-0 by the title hopefuls – an own goal just 10 minutes into the game put KEW PR in the driving seat before striker Dave Percival netted a hat-trick.

There were also wins for Westbury United Reserves and Barford Hornets.