KNOCKOUT Cup action replaced Chippenham and District Sunday League fixtures at the weekend, and it was no great surprise to see defending champions Box Rovers start the defence of their title with a comfortable victory.

Box triumphed 5-1 over Westbury Railway, though they had to work hard – particularly given four of their five goals came in the final 10 minutes of the contest.

Adam Mitchell earned Box a precious one-goal lead at half time, but that lead was cancelled out when John Williams’ excellent individual effort was converted in the second half.

Determined not to fall at the first hurdle, James Gardner and Darrin Moss netted late braces to ensure the cup holders avoided an embarrassing early exit.

Last season’s runners up AFC Melksham also made progress, though they required extra time to do so when facing Division One leaders The Bell.

Kieran Mills saw his first half effort for Melksham cancelled out by Cullen Wylie’s penalty, which forced the tie to extra time.

James Dark netted the winner for Melksham.

In other results, Westbury Rangers put two defeats to Bromham this season to the back of their minds when winning 5-2 away at the villagers to book a last 16 spot.

Corey Gardner, Liam Griffiths, Ashley Easton and Matty Mead netted for Rangers before Charles Street pulled a goal back for Bromham prior to half time.

Although Caleb Englefield added a second after the break, it proved a consolation goal only as Sam Wright’s strike on 50 minutes secured Rangers’ victory.

Premier Division leaders FC Lacock were pushed all the way by Division Two hopefuls Lavis FC – but a shock first round result wasn’t registered as Lacock won 4-2.

Debutant Bradley Edwards put Lavis in front before Dan King’s free kick levelled the tie before half time.

Lacock then took the lead before Zack Manna had what appeared to be a perfectly good equaliser ruled out for Lavis.

A second for King and late goals from Billy Gleed and Josh Bright saw Lacock over the winning line.

FC North Wiltshire – one of Lacock’s top flight rivals – experienced no such luck, though, as they were dumped out of the competition by Chippenham Icons.

James Squire and Ed Sibbick netted for North Wilts who were out of the tie at the break as Icons led 5-0.

Adam O’Keefe struck a hat trick while Rich Hudson netted a brace – Clinton Hartley rounded of the winners’ scoring.

Elsewhere, Division Two outfit Spartak Rudloe upset the formbook with a 3-2 victory away at first division Kingfisher.

Ollie Deane and Max Bray put Spartak Rudloe two goals up by half time before Deane netted the club’s third shortly after the start of the second half.

Though Richie Bolter netted from the spot – and Chris Cox converted a free kick – Spartak prevailed.

Competition favourites Lion and Fiddle was another team to progress, they defeated London Road Inn 9-0.

Conner McKay scored six times while Joe Cunningham and Steward Lisowski netted the others – an own goal rounded off the scoring.

New Inn Wacker got the better of Bremhill View in a nine-goal thriller.

Three-nil down at half time, Bremhill battled back to go in 4-3 down at the break.

Though Tom Stratton added a fourth for Bremhill, it wasn’t enough as Menghini completed his hat trick to seal the 5-4 success for New Inn.

FC Devizes United meanwhile took their league form into the Knockout Cup by beating North Star club on penalties.

With the score at 3-3 after 120 minutes, United prevailed 4-2 in the shootout.

Rob Mitchell’s late goal earned Royal Oak a 2-1 victory over Division One side Old Road to cause a shock.

Josh Duckett got Royal Oak back on level terms after Zak Sallows had given Old Road the lead.

With extra time looming Mitchell bagged what proved to be the winner for the Oak men.

There were also wins for Sportin Box, Steeple Ashton, FC Trowbridge and Bath Road.

Sutton Benger received a walkover into the second round when scheduled opponents Misfits were unable to raise a team for their cup tie.