ALEX Christopher’s try treble helped Chippenham make it three home wins out of three in South West One East this season with a battling 27-20 success over Buckingham last weekend.

Straight from the kick-off at Allington Fields, the hosts showed their intent, and it was not long before the early pressure turned into points as Christopher ran in the opening try, although Tom Douglas was unable to convert.

Chippenham found themselves back in the Buckingham 22 shortly afterwards and, off the back of a well-worked lineout drive, Kieran Atkin got over the whitewash. Douglas’ kick again went wide but the hosts’ lead was 10-0.

A worrying period for Chippenham then unfolded before half-time as they gave away countless penalties.

A dominant Buckingham scrum was able to shove its way over for their first try of the day, before the visitors swiftly followed up with a second touchdown, although both were unconverted to leave the score tied at 10-10.

Another penalty early in the second half allowed Buckingham to split the posts and take the lead for the first time.

This sparked Chippenham back into life and they suddenly became rampant, and Christopher was soon over for his second try of the game. Oli Alcorn took over kicking duties and added the extras from the touchline.

The hosts then broke out from their own 22 as Alcorn released Christopher to run over the whitewash and complete his first senior hat-trick. Alcorn’s conversion attempt came up short.

Chippenham’s forwards were rampaging now and they continues to tire the Buckingham defence.

Before long, Charlie Palmer latched onto an overthrow at the lineout and ran in a try from 30m. Although Alcorn missed from the tee again, Chippenham’s lead was up to 27-13.

Buckingham saw some more reward for their efforts before the final whistle as they went over for a converted try to get themselves back within seven points.

However, Chippenham kept the visitors in their own 22 for the remaining 10 minutes to comfortably see out the win.

Elsewhere, Royal Wootton Bassett maintained their perfect record this season with a 58-5 thrashing of county rivals Salisbury to move top of the table outright.

The victory was Bassett’s fifth five-point success from five games this term – the only side to boast such a record.

Banbury also retain an unbeaten record this season, although Marlborough went close to ending that before falling to a narrow 17-13 defeat at home.

The visitors quickly showed why they have started the season so strongly, having much of the possession in the first half and scoring a converted try in the opening 15 minutes.

Marlborough had a chance to cut the deficit before the break but Will Grant saw a penalty held up in the wind and Banbury’s lead remained at 7-0 at half-time.

Grant was able to find his range early in the second half, though, and two successful kicks brought Marlborough within one point of their visitors.

The contest was now much more even, however, poor defending allowed Banbury to score two unconverted tries to move 17-6 ahead.

Marlborough did not buckle, though, and kept forcing penalties. With five minutes to go, they won an attacking lineout in Banbury’s 22 and, off the back of the ensuing lineout maul, Lemeki Moala got over the whitewash, converted by Grant.

The home side then pushed for a winning try but Banbury dug deep to hold them at bay as Marlborough’s hopes came up just short.

Finally, Trowbridge were beaten 42-18 away at Old Patesians.