YOU have to go back to August 2013 to see a more aesthetically pleasing scoreline for Swindon Town at the County Ground, following today's 4-0 win against a poor Morecambe.

Albeit that day was attended by an additional 1,600 supporters, little can take the gloss off of what was a polished performance from Richie Wellens’ side.

Theo Robinson, Kaiyne Woolery, Dion Conroy and Kyle Bennett were on target for Town – two goals in each half coupled with a clean sheet made it the most enjoyable home tie for supporters this season.

It proved a timely win given Town's play-off frame deficit declined to shift. 

Nicky Law's injury time strike for Exeter City against bottom club Notts County ensured the gap between Town and a top seven spot remains at seven points, with a game in hand. 

Tranmere, MK Dons and Forest Green were other play-off chasing teams to scoop three points.

Wellens was forced into making one change due to Lawrence Vigouroux’s international commitments with Chile.

In came Luke McCormick while Archie Matthews appeared on the senior starting sheet for the first time after impressing in a series of Merit League fixtures.

There were early moments of promise for both teams, though nothing major resulted.

Ali Koiki was kept busy on an initially exposed right wing while at the other end, Kyle Bennett’s low cross from the right across the face of goal surprisingly evaded everyone.

Bennett’s woeful delivery from a corner on nine minutes came as a blessing for Town as they took the lead with 10 minutes played.

After Bennett won back possession through determination, no fewer than five players were involved in the hosts’ opening goal.

Bennett’s cross found Woolfenden, whose header was flicked on by Robinson to allow Anderson to find Conroy on the penalty spot.

Conroy’s blast deflected fortuitously into the path of Robinson, who nodded home from close range to open the scoring.

It’s a wonder how Town didn’t add to their lead from kick-off. A powerful cross from the right delivered by Robinson ricocheted off Koiki before Anderson’s header from five yards forced a reaction save from visiting ‘keeper Halstead.

Hesitant play from Danny Rose almost gifted Morecambe an equalising goal with 18 minutes played. The former Portsmouth man lost possession in the centre of the pitch, 40 yards from goal, allowing Aaron Collins to sprint in the direction of McCormick free of any pressure.

McCormick had to be at his best to stop the Shrimps from levelling, getting a firm hand to Collins’ right-footed effort to fist it wide.

Little happened in the 13 minutes that followed, though exceptional skill in the penalty area from Canice Carroll went unrewarded despite claims for a penalty.

Carroll went to ground after backheeling a ball on the reverse through Luke Conlon’s legs before – to the naked eye – being dragged to ground by the defender.

Referee Nick Kinseley was unmoved, however he was quick to stop play amid a promising counter attack for Town with Robinson in possession.

Morecambe skipper Alex Kenyon ruthlessly took Bennett’s legs from underneath him, but a promising pass prior to the tackle went without reward as play was stopped. Typically, the free-kick resulted in little.

Those frustrations were relieved three minutes from time in the first half though as Woolery doubled Town’s lead in timely fashion.

The striker pathed his own way into the penalty area before unleashing a low left-footed shot that beat Halstead at his near post.

A tinge of complacency perhaps creeped into Town’s game in the concluding minutes of the opening half. McCormick had to make two reasonable saves following a pair of crosses from the left to end the half.

Morecambe pressed early in the second half – Mingola’s ambitious shot was blasted over McCormick’s crossbar through hope more than belief. Kenyon was also guilty of being drawn into shooting from range, the outcome almost identical.

That prompted Jim Bentley’s first change, Kenyon made way for Andrew Flemming.

From there, Town created chances. But their positioning in the box was often what let them down.

Bennett delivered three accurate crosses in a 10-minute period that evaded Town’s target men, while Carroll was unfortunate not to have a strike himself when an ill-placed Ali Koiki collided with the Brentford man.

None of that mattered though as Wellens’ side put the game to bed with 66 minutes played through Conroy, who registered his first goal in a Town shirt.

After receiving a pass from Anderson, Conroy breezed passed two markers before calmly slotting his right-footed shot beyond Halstead’s reach into the far corner.

The feel-good afternoon was added to when Wellens replaced Koiki with Matt Taylor, who earlier in the week announced he will retire from football at the end of the current season.

Taylor – a popular figure among fans – received a standing ovation upon entering the pitch, before colourful cheers greeted his immediate first touch.

Marc Richards was next to enter the field, he took Kaiyne Woolery’s place with 78 minutes played.

The goalscoring did not stop there. Kyle Bennett cashed in and notched third goal in five games, stretching Town’s lead to four.

Bennett’s right-footed effort puzzled Shrimps’ stopper Halstead – an odd bounce saw the ball nestle into his right corner. Though, in truth, Halstead should have done better.

That ended a positive day for Town boss Wellens, who next week will face a much stiffer task when travelling to face automatic promotion hopefuls Bury.