CHIPPENHAM took the bragging rights when they hosted county rivals Marlborough in South West One East, claiming a 17-10 victory.

The result dents Marlborough’s hopes of a second successive promotion this season and sees Chippenham climb out of the bottom four in the table.

The home team applied pressure immediately and although Marlborough defended resolutely, they struggled to the keep the ball long enough to be able to do anything with it.

It took only four minutes for Chippenham to be awarded a penalty, which Oli Acorn kicked to the corner. Possession was then secured from the lineout before skipper Matt Dickens burst through the defence to score an unconverted try out wide.

The next 30 minutes was an arm wrestle, with Marlborough thinking they were on their way to the tryline for the first time, only to be stopped in their tracks when a penalty was awarded for a forward pass.

Then, two minutes before half-time, Chippenham’s Harry Murphy won a lineout, Ben Hathaway cleared forward and following a series of attacks, Frank Yawayaya eventually drove over the line, with Acorn’s kick making it 12-0 at the break.

Marlborough were on the offensive as soon as the second half started and after securing a lineout and driving to the line, Todd Johnson was able to dot down, although Macdonald Lewis’ conversion fell short.

Just three minutes later, Marlborough replayed the same move, with Epeli Kotobalavu the man to claim the second try. Again, Lewis’ kick was short of the posts as the hosts stayed 12-10 in front.

Marlborough’s fightback was cut short by a yellow card for Taufa’ao Filise and that gave Chippenham the incentive to push on again.

Following a period of pressure, they were rewarded for their efforts when Jacob Unwin ran in their third try of the day, and although there was no conversion, Chippenham held on in the closing minutes to see out the win.

There was derby joy for Royal Wootton Bassett too as they claimed a battling 16-14 success away at Trowbridge to remain third in the table.

Defeat for second-placed Old Centralians at Banbury has allowed the Ballards Ash side to cut the gap behind to a single point.