CORSHAM climbed into the top six in the Southern Counties South table after edging to a 22-19 success at home to Grove.

Playing into the strong wind in the first half, Corsham took the lead with a well-worked try from Scott Parry, converted by Kalif Barnes.

Grove struck back with a try to close the gap to 7-5, but an interception from Robbie Robinson saw the hosts race away for a try finished off by Barnes to extend the lead to 12-5.

After some powerful carrying, Grove again responded to level the score at 12-12 at half-time through a converted try.

A second try for Parry, converted by Barnes, put Corsham ahead again in the second half, but the visitors showed great determination to fight back to level the scores once more.

Corsham kept attacking and put a huge amount of pressure on the Grove defence, which resulted in a number of penalties, one of which Barnes sent through the posts to claim the victory.

Corsham head coach Tim Draper said: “It was a really competitive game and Grove are probably the strongest opposition we have played in the league so far.

“I was really pleased that the guys put into practice what they have been working on in training over recent weeks. It was our best performance this season.”

Elsewhere, Devizes came off second best in a bruising game at home to second-placed Frome as the visitors triumphed 28-24.

Frome started the better, carrying aggressively and creating sustained pressure, but Devizes’ outstanding defence kept them at bay.

When Devizes were playing the phases, they looked dangerous, and after Rory Brown kicked a penalty long into touch, Alex Pattle bundled over from close range off the back of a lineout maul to make it 5-0.

The home side then pulled further clear after Chris Barter went over in the corner, with Brown converting.

Five minutes before the break, Devizes moved into a 19-0 lead as Lewis Dodds darted through the defence to go over for a try converted by Brown.

Playing up the slight slope in the second half, Devizes fell foul of the referee’s whistle and a couple of penalties gave Frome a solid platform before they got their first try of the day.

Frome roared back with their tails up and pinned Devizes deep, eventually crossing the tryline from close range to make it 19-14.

Minutes later, a Devizes knock-on allowed Frome to regather possession and they again played the phases before a third converted try saw them move two points in front.

Despite the setback, Devizes countered and Dodds handed off two Frome tacklers to power over the line to make it 24-21 to the hosts.

The Saddlebacks could not hold on, though, and possession was gifted to Frome, who snatched the win late on with a converted try from close range.