LUTON were beaten for the first time in more than two months as in-form Port Vale clinched a staggering 4-0 victory over the Sky Bet League Two table-toppers.

The Hatters entered the clash on the back of an eight-match unbeaten run in the fourth tier but they fell behind in the 23rd minute when defender Dan Potts could only divert Ben Whitfield's cross into his own net.

Tom Pope struck on the hour mark after being teed up by the influential Whitfield, who tapped into an empty net after 70 minutes.

Pope added his second with eight minutes remaining to complete the rout as Luton suffered their first defeat since October 28.

Vale have now taken 13 points from an available last 15 to move away from the drop zone.

Matt Rhead struck in either half as Lincoln stayed third after edging out rock-bottom Forest Green 2-1.

The Imps striker opened the scoring in the eighth minute and although the visitors pulled one back through Christian Doidge, Rhead's second of the afternoon just before the hour settled matters.

Exeter are up to fourth after Jake Taylor's last-gasp strike sealed a 2-1 win over Barnet, who drop into the bottom two after Chesterfield's goalless draw against Colchester.

The Grecians took the lead on the half hour through Kane Wilson but Ryan Watson's 69th-minute goal looked to have given the struggling Bees a point, only for Taylor to strike in added-on time.

Marc McNulty scored and then missed a penalty in the second half as Coventry climbed up to fifth with a 1-0 win at Carlisle.

Wycombe drop to sixth after surrendering a one-goal lead in their 2-1 defeat at home to Mansfield. Adebayo Akinfenwa gave Wanderers an early lead but strikes after the interval from Alfie Potter and Lee Angol helped the Stags claim all three points.

Accrington ended a four-match losing streak as Billy Kee's penalty, plus further second-half goals from Sean McConville and Kayden Jackson, saw Stanley brush aside Grimsby 3-0 to move up to seventh in the standings.

Enzio Boldewijn's goal steered 10-man Crawley to a 1-0 victory over Stevenage. Harry Kewell's men withstood the first-half dismissal of Josh Payne to secure the win.

George Maris scored inside the first 60 seconds while goals afterwards from David Amoo and Uche Ikpeazu gave Cambridge a 3-1 win over Crewe, with Chris Dagnall's strike for Alex proving mere consolation.

Jabo Ibehre was sent off late on for Cambridge.

Finally, Newport striker Padraig Amond's goal was cancelled out by Mohamed Eisa as County were held to a 1-1 draw at Cheltenham.