AFTER marking his Swindon Town debut with a goal, Kaiyne Woolery admits there was a sense of relief after ending a near three-month wait to double that tally.

Woolery was the most high-profile of the 17 signings made by Town boss David Flitcroft over the summer, with the striker fresh from a match-winning performance for Forest Green Rovers in the National League play-off final at Wembley.

The 22-year-old made an instant impact in Town colours by netting an equaliser off the bench in his first appearance for the club to earn them a draw against Exeter City at the County Ground on August 12.

However, it was not until Wednesday night’s Checkatrade Trophy success at Bristol Rovers that Woolery was finally able to add to that haul – although the goal was well worth the wait.

Woolery collected the ball just outside the Town box before charging the length of the field, brushing off Daniel Leadbitter and firing past Adam Smith.

Fourteen appearances had passed between his goals, although six of those were off the bench, but Woolery said he never lost faith he would end that barren spell.

“It is a big confidence booster because obviously I haven’t scored in a while, since by debut. Hopefully I can push on now,” said Woolery, who signed for Town from League One side Wigan Athletic.

“You always believe in yourself but sometimes it just doesn’t go your way. I have been doing extras in training and extra shooting.

“I have been keeping on top of it to make sure that if I do get a chance, I can put it away, like I did on Wednesday night.

“When I picked up the ball, there weren’t that many players in front of me, just space, so I decided to run and luckily it ended up in the goal.

“I don’t really remember what happened other than the defender bouncing off me. It left me one against one with the goalkeeper and luckily I slotted it away.

“I was happy to get another goal and of course I was happy for the team to win. That is five unbeaten now so we are on a good little run, it’s more momentum to bring into the next game and hopefully we can keep it up.”

Town’s victory at the Memorial Stadium was far from straightforward as Woolery’s goal two minutes from time put the visitors 4-2 up and finally killed off the Gas.

Rovers had been boosted by playing the final 20 minutes with an extra man after an injury to Swindon’s Donal McDermott after all three substitutions had been made, so Woolery was thrilled at how the Town troops responded under pressure.

“It was brilliant, everyone dug in. We went down to 10 men so there was a lot of hard work for everyone but it was a very good performance,” said Woolery.

“Bristol Rovers are a league above and they wanted to win as well, so we played very well.

“The gaffer’s information was clear to everyone. We work on it a lot in training, everyone knows each other’s job so when situations like that do happen, everyone knows what we should be doing.

“It’s given us another win under our belt and it’s a good competition to be in as you get to play at Wembley at the end.”