PEWSEY Vale put a run of poor results behind them to clinched their second victory in Dorset & Wilts One North with a 27-20 success over Trowbridge 2nd on Saturday.

Availability issues had contributed to the villagers' recent ropey form and they were behind early on as a series of penalty gave Trowbridge good field position from which they scored an unconverted try out wide.

Pewsey surged forward from the restart, launching the backs with an ambitious move that got the ball wide to right wing Toni Bloomfield who dotted down, fly-half James Haynes added the extras.

Trowbridge hit back immediately for a 10-7 lead but five minutes from half-time, Haynes slotted a penalty to tie the scores.

However, Trowbridge were back on the front foot from the restart, adding their third try, but the whole of the third quarter was played in the visitors' half.

Eventually, Bloomfield went in for his second try and with 10 minutes remaining, Haynes dashed from half way, brushing off several tackles on the way to scoring in the corner, his conversion attempt hitting the post.

Trowbridge responded with another unconverted try, but Pewsey again went wide and left wing Pete Baird sprinted in for the clinching score, Haynes adding the extras.

Coach Mick Haynes said: "This was a good performance that was based on solid structure that eventually shaped the game to our game plan.

"The penalty count was far too high and cost us at least 10 points. We must hold our discipline.''

Minety stayed within touching distance of the top of the table as they edged out promoted Avonvale 13-12.

The villagers made a fine start and were in front after only two minutes as an Avonvale clearance kick was caught by winger Chris Rule just inside his own half and a quick offload to Matt Roberts saw the full-back slice through the visitors’ defence, evading five defenders before touching down beneath the posts.

Scrum-half Tom McAllister landed the conversion and extended the advantage on eight minutes with a penalty.

Five minutes later, Avonvale got on the board with a penalty of their own and a second kick six minutes before the break reduced their deficit to four points.

Minety’s task was made harder when both captain Tom Claxton and flanker Ben Sellick were forced off with head injuries and a third Vale penalty four minutes after the interval nudged them up to within a point.

McAllister eased the pressure with a further penalty approaching the midway point of the half but with Ashley Windle and Roberts also suffering injuries, Avonvale landed a fourth kick to make it 13-12.

Minety though were able to hold out, coach Andy Grayson saying, “We weren’t at our best and the injuries and changes made life difficult.

"We started very well but our set-piece play at scrum and lineout wasn’t as good as usual but we did enough to win and our game management, especially at the end, was excellent.”