JAMES Dunne felt Swindon Town’s attitude was spot-on after they made serene progress into the second round of the FA Cup on Sunday with a 5-1 thrashing of non-league side Dartford.

David Flitcroft’s troops were comfortably able to prove their League Two quality against the Darts, who ply their trade two tiers lower in National League South, and took control of the contest right from the kick-off.

Midfielder Dunne said Town had stressed the importance of not falling victim to a cup shock during their preparation for the game, so arrived at Princes Park with their wits about them.

“We know what the FA Cup is about and sometimes there can be a few upsets. We knew if we went there with a good attitude, we would have a really good chance, and we showed that,” said Dunne, who joined Swindon on a free transfer from Cambridge United over the summer.

“In the FA Cup, you always know that whoever you are playing, if they are down, up or at the same level as you, everyone is going to raise their game.

“We knew we had to make sure our attitude was right and if it was, we thought we would win the game.”

With the Kent crowd boisterous as they watched their team take on opposition from the Football League, taking them out of the equation was key to Town’s chances.

They did that in perfect fashion as Timi Elsnik struck a first-half double, including the opening goal after just 12 minutes, with a Harry Smith strike sandwiched in between those.

Reice Charles-Cook still had to keep his wits about him to deny the Darts a way back into the game before the break and Town were able to raise their game in the second period.

Amine Linganzi and Paul Mullin made it 5-0 within five minutes of the restart before the home side netted a late consolation through Richard Sho-Silva.

Dunne was pleased with how clinical Town were in front of goal in order to kill off the Darts’ hopes of a giant-killing.

“We were very ruthless in the first half. The first half-hour was very good, we got three early goals and we took our chances,” said 28-year-old Dunne.

“Then we took our foot off the pedal a bit and let them back into the game and Cooky made an unbelievable save.

“In the second half, we came out and got the two early goals and put the game to bed.

“We knew those first 15 minutes in the second half were going to be tough because at 3-0, a goal early on for them can change the game, but the two quick goals deflated them.

“All in all, it was a very good day.”