REGULAR followers of Castle Combe’s home brewed championships received a double bonus on Bank Holiday Monday, with exciting double header rounds which were crucial to the end-of-season points standings.

Calne’s Simon Norris was one of many drivers looking to consolidate a championship lead as his class B Mitsubishi Colt took outright pole for both Saloon Car Championship races.

Alongside him for both races was Southampton’s Gary Prebble, his A class SEAT also a championship contender, but the ferociously hot weather likely to play havoc with the heavier Leon’s tyres.

Consequently, Prebble drove two tactical races, maintaining just enough of a gap to keep Norris at bay, whilst at the same time preserving his tyres to the end.

Nevertheless, Norris was able to take two excellent second places overall and omnipotent class wins, maintaining his perfect score of wins and fastest laps this year.

With one round remaining, only class D driver Mike Good, from Brixham, can deny Norris a second title and then only if Norris fails to score just one point.

Dursley’s Alex Kite was the man denying Good maximum class D points, taking his Saxo to two wins after close battles.

Corsham’s Will Di Claudio took another pair of class C victories, the hot weather also affecting the brakes of his 106 Gti. This meant his rival for the class title, Sturminster Newton’s Geoff Ryall, was able to take a vital point for fastest lap in race two, leaving Di Claudio one point behind.

Calne’s Tony Hutchings was a man desperate to achieve some reliability with his A class Audi TT after a number of issues this year. Sadly, race one saw him retire, although race two saw a great comeback drive to third overall.

The controversy in the circuit’s Formula Ford 1600 championship spilled over from the last meeting, when an almost identical incident at Quarry corner took out the two championship title rivals.

Wellingborough’s Michael Moyers had taken the race one win after an incredibly close race where the six leading cars were almost inseparable. His main rival for the title, Bridgwater’s Josh Fisher, took third behind reigning champion Roger Orgee, from Langford.

With Moyers again starting from pole in race two, Fisher needed a good opening lap from third on the grid and a superb start put him ahead for the first 12 laps.

As the pair braked for Quarry for the 13th time, Moyers set himself up to dive down the inside for the lead. As the corner loomed, something had to give and contact was made. However, unlike the previous occasion where Fisher was able to continue, this time, both ended their race in the barriers.

Orgee upheld Kevin Mills Racing Team honours to go on to win with Yatton Keynell’s Luke Cooper a fine second in his Swift SC16.

The circuit’s GT championship races saw some impressive super cars, such as a Lamborghini Gallardo and a BMW M6 V10 taking part, but it was the more prosaic machinery which made all the running.

Portishead’s Oliver Bull took his Vauxhall Tigra Silhouette to a fine win in race one ahead of Tony Bennett, from Salisbury, in race one in his Caterham before going on to win race two after being pressed hard by Bradley John’s Mitsubishi Evo.

Hove’s Ilsa Cox took a pair of dominant class wins in her Seat Leon Cupra, propelling her to a one point overall championship lead.

Some new faces appeared at the head of the circuit’s two Hot Hatch series races. Westbury’s Josh Harvey took his Honda Civic to a clear win in race one, while Mark Wyatt dominated race two in his Astra, winning by seven seconds.