CHIPPENHAM Town played their get out of jail card as they scored twice in the last seven minutes to hold on to top spot in the Southern Premier division.

The match was played at Beaconsfield SYCOB's ground and had hosted a match less than 24 hours earlier.

Heavy rain on Sunday morning ensured less than ideal playing conditions and it took the Bluebirds over 30 minutes to come to terms with the muddy surface.

However, their spell of pressure before the break produced no goals and Hayes and Yeading broke away to take the lead when Ramone Rose, making his debut after signing from Slough Town, turned and hit a stunning 30-yard shot past Darren Chitty.

Chippenham had almost fallen behind on three minutes when Rose saw a goalbound shot blocked and Graeme Montgomery's attempt to place the loose ball home was kicked off the line by skipper Greg Tindle.

Chippenham's first attack didn't materialise until the 10th minute when Matt Smith's shot was charged down and Alex Ferguson was off target with his follow up.

On 32 minutes Matt Jones collected a defensive clearance and ran on before firing just wide. A minute later Smith played Dan Bowman in but he too failed to trouble keeper Danny Boness.

On 37 minutes Dave Pratt was fouled as he cut in from the left with the Bluebird players claiming a penalty but referee Ryan Atkin judged the first contact happened just outside the area.

From the resulting Michael Pook free kick Tindle headed wide from a good position.

On 40 minutes Jake Andrews, whose loan from Bristol City has been extended until the end of the season, couldn't get his shot away from inside the area and a minute later another chance fell his way from a Smith cross but he headed wide.

Chippenham were made to pay as Rose put the home side in front with the last telling action of the half.

The Bluebirds were then handed a way back on fifty minutes when a home defender attempted to clear but only succeeded in kicking the ball against his own hand, thus conceding a rather fortuitous but bizarre penalty.

With regular taker Andy Sandell out injured, for the second successive week spot kick duties fell to Pratt whose firmly struck kick was well-saved by Boeness.

The disappointment only drove the Bluebirds on, cheered on by a large contingent of fans behind the goal.

Pook's free kick was met by Pratt but his low shot was saved by Boeness, whilst Smith's low shot lacked the necessary power to beat the home stopper.

In a rare home breakaway the lively Anthony Edgar thumped a 25-yard shot against the base of a post.

Mark Collier then made one of those double gambles that when they come off are a manager's dream.

Chippenham withdrew left back Nuno Felix 20 minutes from time as they went three at the back and 10 minutes later Rhys Baggridge came off the bench to play in the back three with Will Richards moving up front alongside Pratt.

The move soon paid off as Richards headed home substitute James Guthrie's 83rd-minute corner.

As Boeness was announced as the home side's man of the match the keeper was left to pick the ball out of the net as Pratt glanced home substitute Joe McClennan's inswinging cross to the back post in the first minute of stoppage time.

Chippenham: Chitty, Bowman, Felix (Guthrie 71), Pook (McClennan 71), Tindle, Richards, Ferguson, Smith, Pratt, Andrews, Jones (Baggridge 79) subs not used: Beeden, Rae.

Referee: Ryan Atkin.

Attendance: 224