New photos, taken by Gazette photographer Trevor Porter, show the empty shell of a building that remains at the site of the Bromham Social Centre.

A massive fire took hold around 10am yesterday (June 14).

Smoke could be seen for miles across the wider area, and residents were urged to close their windows.

Today, firefighters have issued thanks to those who helped respond.

Station Manager Adam Martin said: “We were very grateful to the local community for the support they showed us throughout this incident, especially the team from the Westbrook Inn, who kindly provided food and drinks for the crews.”

The building was undergoing roof repairs and it is believed that a bird’s nest caught alight during the works, which led to the fire spreading to the whole building.

READ MORE: Roofer treated for burns after Bromham fire

Councillor for Bromham, Rowde and Roundway, Laura Mayes, said: “I was shocked to learn about the fire but have been very impressed by the way the Bromham community have come together to support each other.

"I visited the site and spoke to the Parish Clerk to offer help, and I know Bromham will work together to create a new centre for the village as soon as possible”

The building’s design and the dry conditions meant the fire was able to take hold quickly.

Crews from Melksham, Devizes, Calne, Trowbridge and Westbury as well as an 'aerial appliance' from Swindon and water carriers from Pewsey and Royal Wootton Bassett were called to the scene.

SM Martin added: "We had two water carriers maintaining a steady supply of water, and we used the aerial ladder platform to get water onto the fire from above; however, this was a very open building, with no real compartmentalisation, so the fire was very difficult to contain. We had to stay on scene for most of the day to deal with hot spots, which were difficult to access because of the building’s instability.”

Relief crews from Marlborough, Westlea and Devizes ensured a presence on site until the stop came in at 10.20pm, and a Devizes crew dealt with a hotspot during a reinspection this morning (15 June).

Posting on Facebook, MP Danny Kruger added: "I'm so sorry to hear about today's fire in Bromham - this is a truly sad day for the village. I have spoken with the Parish Clerk and Cllr Laura Mayes and am relieved to hear nobody was hurt, but the loss of the social club will be a huge blow to the local community."

Meanwhile, more than £9,000 has been raised for club steward Adam Dempsey who lost everything in the fire that destroyed the Bromham Social Centre Club and The Owl community pub yesterday.

He lived above the social club and lost nearly all his belongings following the fire.