Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has reminded people not to store fuel in their homes, after a woman in Yorkshire was badly burned in an explosion last night.

The woman accidentally set fire to herself after trying to decant petrol from one container to another using a jug.

She was in her kitchen and the petrol vapours were ignited by the gas cooker.

Area manager John Popowicz said: “Given that there is no industrial action affecting fuel supplies as yet, our advice would be to not store fuel at home, as it is a significant fire risk. If you do need to have flammable materials on your premises, you should never bring them into the domestic part of the home.”

The law allows people to keep a maximum of 15 litres (three gallons) of petrol in no more than two approved metal containers, or ten litres (two gallons) in two plastic containers.

Neither plastic container should be of more than five litres’ capacity (one gallon).

An approved container is one which is marked and approved for petrol storage and fitted with a secure cap to prevent leakage of liquid and, just as importantly, vapour.

These maximum amounts of petrol can be stored in a secured, locked shed or a garage.

Garages should be detached from the house or separated by a fire door if it is adjoining.

Fuel should not be stored within any living areas of your house.

Mr Popowicz said: "If you intend on storing more than this, either for domestic purposes or as a business, you would require a licence from the Local Authority Petroleum Officer."