Aspiring soldier Will Filer, of Chippenham, took his own life in a spur of the moment act, an inquest heard on Tuesday.

The 18-year-old was found hanged in Bird’s Marsh Wood on March 1, one week after he was asked to leave his accommodation and shortly after he was told he might not be able to fulfil his dream of joining the Army.

But despite the numerous problems he was facing, assistant deputy coroner for Wiltshire Ian Singleton told the court he did not think the suicide was premeditated.

“In the last text message he sent his mother there was no indication that he was going to harm himself,” he said.

“His comments to his stepfather that morning were that he would be along shortly.”

Will had been living at the Amber Foundation in Trowbridge, a hostel for homeless and unemployed adults, for a year, but on February 23 he was given seven days notice to leave.

Since moving out of his family home in Oaklands, Will was in regular contact with his mum Rachel Higginson and sent a text message asking if he could see her just two hours before his body was found.

Speaking at the inquest in Trowbridge Mrs Higginson said: “He asked if he could come and see me, but I had no credit to reply. I was just expecting him to turn up after I got the message.

“My husband had gone to take the children to school and he had seen Will, who said he would be up after popping to see his friends.

“I wasn’t aware of any problems he had at that time. He didn’t talk about how he felt at all. He always walked around with a smile on his face and a spring in his step – that’s just how he was.”

Will was diagnosed with ADHD and moderate learning difficulties when he was seven years old, and was required to take medication daily.

The 18-year-old had just completed an Army preparation course at Lackham. When he found out his application to become a soldier would not be considered until he was two years free of medication he stopped taking it.

His mother said this decision altered his behaviour dramatically. Mrs Higginson, who has two younger children, said: “This had a huge effect. He just could not cope with reality and he lived in a fantasy bubble.”

The assistant deputy coroner recorded that Will died from compression of the neck by ligature.