Builder Michael Wells has been jailed for eight months after he attacked a man with a shovel during a row over a blocked road.

The 52-year-old, of Oxford Road, Calne, knocked his victim Duncan Haig to the ground before smashing the heavy end of the tool into his head.

When he was questioned by police about the attack the following day he said he didn't feel sorry for Mr Haig because he had been 'chopsy'.

Kerry Barker, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court on Friday that Mr Haig lived in a terraced house in Calne where the access was at the rear of the block of eight.

At the start of April one of his neighbours was having some work done and there had been problems with the access road being blocked.

On April 4 Mr Haig had been to a funeral during the day and returned home from the wake with his children while his wife stayed on a bit longer.

However soon after getting home he heard a builder's lorry arrive and looked out to see it had dropped a load of scalpings over the road, blocking it.

Mr Barker said: "Mr Haig went out to ask the workmen to move the scalpings as he was expecting his wife to return soon. A shouting match ensued but at no time did he touch or push the workman. He fell to the ground and while on the ground felt a heavy blow to the head."

He said Mr Haig pleaded for Wells to stop, saying he had two children in the house, though the younger was in fact outside watching.

"He got up and found blood was pouring from his head. A friend arrived soon after and described his head as being covered by a bucket of blood," said Mr Barker.

The court heard that Wells had struck Mr Haig twice with the shovel, the second blow causing a 6cm cut to the top of his head.

Mr Barker said "He also had abrasions to the right wrist consistent with trying to defend himself."

When he was questioned the following day, Wells said that Mr Haig had been abusive, threatening him, and pushed his colleague.

He told officers: "I just had my spade in my hand and I just hit him with it, down he went and I hit him again."

At a previous hearing Wells pleaded guilty to wounding.

Mike Pulsford, defending, said the incident was out of character for Wells, who he described as being well thought of by his employers and customers, including the couple for whom he was working that day.

Mr Pulsford said: "He is the first to accept that there was no excuse for using a spade, a tool of his trade, the way he did that afternoon."

He said Mr Haig had been aggressive and abusive and approached them with his fists clenched.

Jailing Wells, Judge Tom Longbotham said: "The use of weapons, whether they be hammers, knives or shovels is simply not conduct that can be overlooked by the court."