Ref. 27903-75THERE was jubilation across Swindon as rugby fans revelled in England's World Cup victory.

Pubs and bars were overflowing with supporters, many of whom were painted and decked out with the flag of St George.

Jukeboxes were cranked up as fans sang along to sporting favourites like We Are The Champions after a tense morning, which had seen England fight back to clinch a sensational 20-17 win in the last minutes of a close game.

Bar staff struggled to keep up as fans savoured a rare British sporting triumph.

Drinkers in the Roaring Donkey in Albert Street were ecstatic.

Steve Barton, 42, a management consultant from Quarry Road, Old Town, said: "The last 10-minutes were too much for me, I had to go out and have a walk or I would have had a heart attack. It was an amazing game."

Paul Kirton, 37, a barber from Edinburgh Street, Gorse Hill, said: "I always believed we could do it, even when we were at the 14-14 stage. The atmosphere here has been electric.

"The whole town seems to have pulled together for this."

Geoff Finn, 39, a BT engineer from Goddard Avenue, Okus, said: "When we went into extra time it was unbelievably tense. Everybody was swept away. When we scored the whole place just erupted."

Proving that women like rugby just as much as men was Julia Haskell.

Julia, 30, a security guard from Ponting Street, Swindon said: "I like rugby as much as any man. I loved every minute of the game, although there were some worrying moments.''

Mike Davis, 43, a computer programmer also from Ponting Street, said: "I have been waiting since 1987 for this. It was a beautiful, beautiful game."

For Mike and his mates the rugby continued with a trip to watch Bath play Harlequins in the afternoon.

The ecstatic mood following the victory spilled over to the County Ground where Swindon managed to hold Queen's Park Rangers to a one all draw.

Four men from Swindon were arrested for public order offences in the wake of England's rugby triumph in Australia.

Police were called on Saturday at lunchtime after a disturbance in O'Neills Irish Bar, Fleet Street, spilled out on to the road outside.

The men were later charged with affray and bailed to appear at Swindon Magistrates Court on Thursday.