Marlborough rock star Pete Doherty was given a 12-month driving ban and fined £500 yesterday after he admitted allowing his manager to use his Daimler without insurance.

A lawyer entered a guilty plea on Doherty's behalf during a hearing before magistrates in Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Last month the singer's manager Andrew Boyd was given a 12-month jail term after a court heard he ran into a pedestrian delivering local newsletters then drove off at speed in the Daimler.

Boyd, 42, admitted a string of motoring offences including dangerous driving, failing to stop at the scene of an accident and driving without a licence or insurance during a hearing at Ipswich Crown Court on February 24.

The Crown Court heard that 43-year-old Chris Corder, of Hadleigh, Suffolk, suffered "catastrophic" brain injuries and was left in a coma.

Prosecutor Steven Dyble said Boyd was at the wheel of Mr Doherty's car when he hit Mr Corder in Hadleigh last September.

He said Boyd's four-year-old son was in the back and told the court that police found the car in a body repair shop in London.

Magistrates were told that Doherty had been given a 18-month driving ban and a £2,050 fine in December at Gloucester Crown Court after admitting careless and drink driving following a concert.

Lawyers said the two bans would run concurrently and Doherty would not be able to re-apply for a licence until the 18-month ban had ended.

Prosecutor Gareth Davies told magistrates that the accident in which Mr Corder was hurt had "absolutely nothing" to do with Doherty.

Bruce Clark, for Doherty, said the singer, who is 31 today, had believed that Boyd was insured. He said Boyd had also thought that he was insured.

Doherty was not in court, court officials said he was not required to attend.

Mr Clark said Doherty, who was also ordered to pay £85 legal costs, was in Paris.

Magistrates' chairman Sue Pawson told the court: "We are treating him (Doherty) the same as we would treat anyone else."

Doherty was told to pay the fine with 14 days - Mr Clark told the court: "He has got means."

Ipswich Crown Court heard Boyd told police that he had been distracted by his son's crying when he hit Mr Corder and then panicked.

Chris Henley, for Boyd, said his client had made a "series of very bad decisions" and felt "remorse, regret and shame". He said Boyd accepted his "financial obligations" towards the Corder family.

Mr Dyble said evidence showed that Mr Corder, who had a number of cleaning jobs, had just walked down a driveway and stepped into a road when he was hit.

He said there was no evidence that Boyd had been driving badly or dangerously at the time of the accident.

But he said Boyd's driving after he left the scene was dangerous. A number of motorists told police that Boyd drove at speed, on the wrong side of the road, and appeared not be in control of the car.

Mr Dyble said the Daimler was spotted on a police camera, then traced to Doherty and to Boyd.

He told the court that Boyd was convicted of drink-driving in 2000 and banned for 15 months, then lost his licence again two years ago after a speeding conviction.

Mr Dyble said Boyd completed a ban imposed after that conviction but had not re-applied for his licence.

Judge David Goodin jailed Boyd and also banned him from driving for three years. He said Boyd would have to pass another driving test before being allowed to regain his licence.