A Wiltshire man accused of attempted murder has been remanded in custody after an alleged town centre stabbing.

Kubilay Bostanli, 26, of Anzio Road in Devizes, appeared in Salisbury Magistrates' Court charged with attempted murder on Monday, July 1.

This comes after a serious incident in Devizes town centre shortly after noon on Saturday, June 29, which prompted police to close Estcourt Street.

A man in his 20s was reportedly stabbed during the incident and was flown to Southmead Hospital by air ambulance.

READ MORE: Emergency services called to stabbing in Devizes

Police at the scene in DevizesPolice at the scene in Devizes (Image: Trevor Porter)

Bostanli has also been charged with assault by beating, assault of an emergency worker, harassment, and possession of a knife.

The case has been sent to Salisbury Crown Court and Bostanli is next set to appear on Wednesday, July 31.

He has yet to enter a plea, and, in the meantime, he has been remanded in custody.

During the afternoon of the alleged attack, police cordoned off the A361, the main route through the town, while they worked at the scene.

This closure was in place between the old Wadworth brewery on Northgate Street and the roundabout at Walter Rose & Son.

While the closure was later lifted, police warned there would be an increased presence in the town centre during the following days.

A number of officers were deployed to a mobile police station outside the nearby Sainsbury’s to offer reassurance and answer residents’ questions.

A spokesperson for the force said: “Due to the serious incident that occurred in Estcourt Street on Saturday, following reports a man in his 20s had been stabbed, you will see an increased Police presence in the town.

“We have set up a mobile police station outside of Sainsbury’s on the junction of Sidmouth Street and Maryport Street.

“Local officers will be on hand to provide reassurance and answer any questions you may have.

“We would also like to thank witnesses that helped emergency services on the day and those that have since come forward with information.”

Police at the scene in DevizesPolice at the scene in Devizes (Image: Trevor Porter)

Following the incident, Detective Inspector Gareth Kitchener emphasised there was no wider risk posed to the public.

He added: “We understand that this incident will have caused concern within the community, especially given it happened in broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon.

“We’d like to reassure residents that we have swiftly made one arrest and we do not believe there to be a wider risk to the public at this time.

“We’d like to thank the local community for assisting with our enquiries so far.”