A Chippenham man attacked police officers after being refused entry to a pub in the town.

Luke Jones, of Goldney Avenue, appeared at Swindon Magistrates' Court for sentencing.

The 21-year-old pleaded guilty to beating three emergency service workers – two male and one female – at The Black Horse in New Road on March 31, 2024.

Keith Ballinger, prosecuting, explained the circumstances of the offences.

He said: “Police respond to a call in the early hours, just after 3am. There’s a man trying to climb the scaffolding outside The Black Horse.

“Security managed to get him down once and he seemed intoxicated, then he wrapped his legs around a pole and refused to leave.

“The officers tried to help stand him up and remove him from the area but he refused to co-operate.

“One officer physically unwrapped him from the pole while two others pulled him up by the arms."

The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald: The Black Horse in Chippenham The Black Horse in Chippenham (Image: Google Maps)Jones then reportedly started kicking at the officers, then tried to headbutt one of them after being put into leg restraints, then they carried him into the van.

Mr Ballinger added: “In interview, he said he does not like being touched and lost control. He was panicking while being held and was sorry.”

Mark Glendenning, defending, objected to the above description of his client’s actions, saying that “headbutt is too strong a word, he leaned his head forward” and “he moved his legs because he did not want to be pinned. He was not really kicking”.

The solicitor added that the situation could have played out differently if Jones had managed to access more support for his autism.

Mr Glendenning said: “He was clearly remorseful.

“He was diagnosed with childhood autism and struggled to get help with it after he turned 18. His GP referred him to services but they then said he did not fit the criteria.

“If he had, he could have been given an Autism Aware card and [officers] could have treated him differently.

“He was drunk and not thinking through his actions. He was in the pub, then left and was not allowed back in and his friends were still inside.

“[Officers] took him to the ground to stop him hurting himself. He does not like being touched and that makes things worse.”

Jones must pay a £400 fine plus £50 compensation to the female officer who suffered a bruise to the wrist, as well as £85 in court costs as well as £160 to fund victim services.