Three teenage boys have been found guilty of killing 16-year-old Mikey Roynon after travelling to a birthday party from Wiltshire.

Mikey was killed in the back garden of a house party in the Weston area of Bath, on June 10 last year, when he was stabbed in the back of the neck with a so-called zombie knife.

His injury was not survivable, and he died at the scene.

After a five-and-a-half-week trial at Bristol Crown Court, a 16-year-old boy was found guilty of murdering Mikey.

Jurors were told the defendant had admitted stabbing Mikey, but he claimed it was in self-defence after the victim had swung a knife towards his friend.

A witness told the court he thought Mikey himself may have had a knife at the time he was stabbed, but was only 60 per cent sure.

Mikey did not have a knife on him when he died, and detectives found no other evidence in support of this claim.

Two other boys, both aged 16, were found guilty of manslaughter after the jury was told they too were armed with substantial knives and were jointly responsible for the attack on Mikey.

None of the boys, who cannot be named for legal reasons, chose to give evidence in their defence.

All three defendants had travelled to the party on a bus from Wiltshire.

Two of them admitted taking knives with them but the third denied it.

CCTV from the bus was played to the court which showed what detectives believe was a large knife down his trousers, casting doubt on his account.

This boy was initially treated as a witness until police seized a knife with both his and Mikey’s DNA on it.

His clothes were later forensically examined and found to have Mikey’s blood on.

As well as manslaughter, the jury found this defendant guilty of possessing a bladed article.

The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald: Mikey RoynonMikey Roynon (Image: Avon and Somerset Police)

Detective Inspector Mark Newbury, the senior investigating officer, said“That three boys armed themselves with knives to go to a teenage girl’s 16th birthday party is utterly unconscionable.

“Mikey went to that party to socialise and to have a good time.

“Instead, he was attacked with a horrifying weapon, suffered a catastrophic injury and tragically lost his life.

“Mikey was a much-loved teenage boy and his family have been left totally devastated.

“They have shown incredible bravery and have courageously spoken out against knife crime since his death, which is something they should never have to do.”

All three boys will be sentenced on May 3.