A rapist from Marlborough has finally been sentenced to six and a half years behind bars, almost a decade after his assault.

Robert Miles, 37, of Rabley Wood View, Marlborough, was sentenced on Monday, November 13, at Swindon Crown Court after being found guilty of a rape he committed 9 years ago.

In 2014, Miles raped his female victim (who will remain anonymous) in a private house, but she was too afraid to could come forward at the time.

It took Miles’ victim five years to gain the courage to report the crime to the police, and the events of that night have had a lasting effect on her.

In a victim impact statement, she said: “I have, at all times, low self-esteem. I feel my quality of life has been greatly impacted in many ways by what Robert has done to me.”

Speaking about the case, detective constable Clare Sylvester-Wyness said:

“Its been a long and gruelling time for the aggrieved person in the case of Miles.

“The trial has been set four times previously but has been rescheduled due to the covid pandemic and the barrister strike.  

“I would just like to thank her for her bravery and courage to seek justice.”

Due to his victim finding the courage to speak up, the Marlborough rapist will now spend six and a half years in prison.

"We would urge anyone who has been a victim of sexual assault to come forward and tell someone, even if the offence took place some time ago,” added Detective Constable Sylvester-Wyness.

“We understand it can be difficult. You might not be completely sure what happened or how to talk about it, but we have trained officers and partner organisations that are here to listen and work together to support you in any way we can.

“Importantly, your information could help us bring the offender to justice and make sure you, and other people in a similar situation, are kept safe.”

If you have been the victim of rape or sexual assault, no matter how long ago it was, there are multiple ways that you can report the crime to Wiltshire Police.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to go to the police, you can speak to your local sexual assault referral centre.

The trained staff there can give you confidential medical help and advice, as well as gather evidence for you to use at a later date, if you decide to report the assault to the police.