A 30-year-old man who was found dead in his home intended to take his own life, a coroner has concluded.

Jack Hardie-Brooks, a paint sprayer and mechanic who was born in Swindon and lived in Royal Wootton Bassett, was found unresponsive in his bedroom at around 8am on August 4, 2022.

He was discovered by Emily Porter, who he shared the flat with and who referred to herself as Jack’s partner.

READ MORE: What happens at an inquest and what can the press report?

Ms Porter, who was suffering with Covid-19 at the time and had been unwell, last saw Jack at around 10.30pm the night before he died.

In a statement read by senior coroner David Ridley, Ms Porter said Jack had seemed “happy” the day before his death and there had been no cause for “alarm bells".

She recalled how Jack had been to the shop and bought 10 cans of lager and had checked on her multiple times throughout the day, at one point offering her pizza which they ate together on the edge of her bed.

Later that night, Jack told Ms Porter that he had “bad thoughts” and she advised him to go to bed as he was drunk.

She went to bed in the spare room where she had been sleeping for “a short while” while Jack “barricaded” himself in the master bedroom.

The court heard that this was something Jack would do when he was upset.

Ms Porter woke up multiple times throughout the night and heard Jack moving about his bedroom.

She spoke to him briefly at one point and said he seemed like he was “looking right through her”.

Jack, who suffered from parasomnia, was later heard making groaning noises as if he was having “some sort of nightmare”.

Ms Porter forced her way into the barricaded room on the morning of August 4, where she discovered Jack who did not appear to be breathing.

She returned to her bedroom and called Jack’s father, Lance Brooks, who instructed her to call 999.

Paramedics and police arrived at the property and Jack was confirmed dead.

Coroner Ridley ruled the cause of death to be asphyxiation and was satisfied that Jack had intended to take his own life.

He said: “I think the appropriate conclusion to reach is one of suicide.”

The court heard Jack had a history of suffering from several mental health issues in a statement from his GP, Dr Turner.

These included anxiety, insomnia, and parasomnia, while Jack was also diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder and ADHD.

He suffered from disturbed sleep as a result of the insomnia and parasomnia, and Ms Porter told the court he had been awake for three days prior to his death.

Coroner Ridley was satisfied that these mental health issues had “contributed” to Jack’s actions and that he had experienced a “mental health downturn".

Jack’s father said that he and his family agreed with this verdict.

He said: “I fully support exactly what you have said… that is what we believe.”

At the time of Jack’s death, he was being reviewed by his GP every two to three weeks and was taking a variety of medications.

Dr Turner added that Jack had problems forming relationships and was prone to “impulsive behaviours” but that he had not discussed any suicidal intent.

Ms Porter suggested Jack had stopped taking his medication and started to ignore calls from his doctors.

Coroner Ridley agreed that the toxicology reports aligned with this testimony and was persuaded that Jack was not “taking all his medication in the leadup to what happened".

Attending police officers said there was no evidence of third party involvement or that Jack's death was suspicious.

When life is difficult, Samaritans are here – day or night, 365 days a year. You can call them for free on 116 123, email them at jo@samaritans.org, or visit samaritans.org to find your nearest branch.