A DAD of four has praised his children and paramedics who helped save his life after he had a cardiac arrest.

Kevin Scott collapsed and stopped breathing while looking after his children at home, in Westbury.

The children raised the alarm, and family friends did CPR and used a community defibrillator to resuscitate him.

Paramedics provided further treatment, and transported him to hospital. He went on to make a full recovery.

Now the 40-year-old has thanked South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust for their treatment after the scary ordeal.

The family made a special trip to Trowbridge Ambulance Station to thank staff personally.

Kevin said: “Thank you to everyone who helped to save my life.

“I have no recollection of what happened, but I have been told of the wonderful care the paramedics and hospital staff provided.

“Without the actions of our children, our friends, the paramedics, and the availability of the community defibrillator, things could have turned out very differently.”

Katrina, Kevin’s partner, said: “This was the worst imaginable experience for our family, but the response could not have been better. Thank you to everyone for all you did. You are all heroes!”

Kevin has a rare condition called situs inversus totalis, which means his heart and other organs are on the opposite side of his body to normal.

His sudden cardiac arrest happened in the kitchen in front of his 10-year-old daughter Aiyana in April 2019. His 13-year-old daughter Elysia got help, and his 15-year-old son Leyton called 999 to inform SWASFT.

SWASFT control room staff gave instructions to those on scene who were providing basic life support and sent ambulances.

They told helpers to get the nearby defibrillator, which Elysia ran to get. The family friends, who were doing CPR, used the defibrillator to give Kevin two shocks to restart his heart.

SWASFT operations officer Michael Anning was first on scene. He was followed by specialist paramedics Daniel Tucker and James Hubbard and ambulance crew Alice Holt and Angela Welch.

The team stabilised Kevin and took him to hospital in Bath before he was transferred to Bristol.

Kevin was fitted with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator in an effort to prevent it happening again.

Michael said: “The patient’s children were extremely brave in gaining help quickly.

“The lifesaving interventions, including the bystander CPR, made all the difference to Kevin.”