NIGHTCLUB manager Ian Matthews has defended security after an electrician was left with bleeding on the brain after a late night assault outside The Exchange in Devizes.

Colm Carty, 22, was taken to the Royal United Hospital, Bath during the early hours of Sunday after the attack in Station Road.

He was left unconscious after being knocked to the ground at about 2am. He was found to have bleeding on the brain and underwent a scan.

His employer Tom Lyons said: "Luckily Colm is doing well now but he had to stay in hospital for observation for a couple of days.

"It is worrying to think this can happen in Devizes. It seems there is more and incidents happening."

But both Mr Matthews and police deny an increase in trouble.

Extra police were on duty because of the Champions League final on Saturday night but no clashes between Spurs and Liverpool fans were reported.

PC Beth Butwell said: "“These types of assaults are thankfully rare and the vast majority of people who enjoy a night out in Devizes do so peacefully and without trouble.

"We have police officers and staff from our Community Policing Teams carrying out proactive patrols in town and city centres when we are expecting it to be busy and, with the Champions League final on Saturday, we had a presence in Devizes town centre throughout the evening and into the early hours.

"We would always urge people to be responsible when they are out drinking and socialising, and remind them that police will take action if we are alerted to any trouble or violence.”

Mr Matthews, who runs Devizes Town Council owned club, said: "This happened outside the club and one of our security team also received minor injuries. But I want to reassure people that incidents are rare and when they do happen they are often not related to the club at all.

"We have seven security staff on duty and we work with Pub Watch to keep known trouble makers out. The club is very safe."

Police are appealing for witnesses to the attack. A spokesman said: "Two men have been arrested in connection with an assault in Devizes in the early hours of Sunday morning.

"A man in his 20s was taken to the Royal United Hospital in Bath for treatment for a head injury. His injuries are not believed to be life-changing or life-threatening.

"Two 19-year-old men were arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm and have since been released under investigation."