A fire at a thatch house in Coate Road, Devizes destroyed most of the roof of the building this afternoon.

Crews form Devizes and Trowbridge were at the home on Coate Road from 12.30pm and at one point there were 12 fire engines working to stop the fire from spreading.

The alarm was raised after smoke was seen billowing from the chimney and crews began stripping away the thatch as soon as they arrived.

An aerial ladder appliance, control unit and water carrier were at the fire.

It is believed that crews were able to save the rest of the property and its contents.